Thread: 17.10 choppy/stuttering video (not audio)

Beans

17.10 choppy/stuttering video (not audio)

Ubuntu 17.10 (X.Org 1.19.5), gnome shell 3.26.2, kernel 4.13.0-43-generic, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 cores), 15.5GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller.

In the past few days - I don't know why - all videos I play will very briefly "halt" every couple seconds or so, making the video appear to be "stuttering" or "choppy".

It doesn't seem to matter which application I play the video with, nor the format of the video file, nor whether it is online/streaming or a file I have saved.

The audio sounds to be just fine.

I realize that there have been MANY, MANY questions similar to this posted on this forum (and elsewhere online) - but that only makes finding the correct solution more difficult: Practically speaking it is impossible for me to figure out which questions/threads to follow-up on, and which will not apply, and which are out of date, etc. Nevertheless, I have read through very many of the questions and proposed solutions, but none of them have worked in my case.

My questions: How do I fix this? How do I go about diagnosing this problem to figure out what is wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 17.10 choppy/stuttering video (not audio)

I'm kinda surprised that Ubuntu doesn't do these steps (or similar) as standard when it recognises integrated Intel graphics but I'm hoping you are referring to video tearing.

Create a xorg configuration file as per this section of this page.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._configuration

And also add the video tearing option to it as per this section:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ear-free_video

So you should end up with something like:
    $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "TearFree"    "true"
    EndSection

Restart and see if it's any better.
    Last edited by kazakore; May 31st, 2018 at 12:22 PM.

Beans

Thank you!!!!!

I tried your suggestion..... and it worked!!!!!!!

I added the file as you described, and now it appears that the "stuttering" has gone away. That is good.

Questions for you:

What are the instructions in the file you had me create doing?

Why do I suddenly need this file? Any ideas on what might have changed in my system?

For future upgrades, will this file get overwritten? Will I always have to be on the lookout for updates/upgrades that will delete it?
    Last edited by goodstuff9; June 1st, 2018 at 05:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by goodstuff9 View Post
    Thank you!!!!!

I tried your suggestion..... and it worked!!!!!!!

I added the file as you described, and now it appears that the "stuttering" has gone away. That is good.
    Please mark the thread as Solved.

Questions for you:

What are the instructions in the file you had me create doing?
    The links I gave can explain things better than I can. Basically all you're doing is telling the Intel driver to use Tear Free mode.

Why do I suddenly need this file? Any ideas on what might have changed in my system?

For future upgrades, will this file get overwritten? Will I always have to be on the lookout for updates/upgrades that will delete it?

Pretty sure I've had to do this every version since I started on Ubuntu 14.04. But I always do a fresh install of the LTS versions, not the smaller releases, so afraid can't answer those questions....