Thread: Using launchpad ppa's

Beans

Using launchpad ppa's

I have a Debian based system with a QEMU virtual installation for Kubuntu 17.10. I have been trying get a copy of FreeCAD-daily setup and have become very frustrated. I have found bits and pieces that are applicable most of which don't work. Many want me to use a Ubuntu app that doesn't exist on my system nor have I been able to install it from the normal repository. Many sites outline how to setup launchpad for uploading applications.

I really need to have a step by step instruction to install everything preferably from the commend line. I could also use some guidance on finding launchpad apps. I find this whole area very confusing. I've been using Debian for almost 20 years so am not exactly a newby.

Please help

garyr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Using launchpad ppa's

Generally, launchpad PPAs provide the exact instructions to install the new PPA as a source. sudo add-apt-repository {copy/paste from the PPA instructions}
    https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maint.../freecad-daily says ...
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily
    sudo apt-get update
    simple.

Whether the daily version works or not is a very different question. I've also gone with the stable PPAs myself,but I've never tried any CAD on Linux.

Then you do a sudo apt install {package}
    That's it.

Beans

I just installed freecad-daily in Xubuntu 17.10. (same default repositories as Kubuntu 17.10)
    It's as simple as TheFu says and it works.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt install freecad-daily
    May care to read this page.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/how-t...dd-remove.html

Take note of the section about ppa-purge.
    If you have package conflicts caused by an added ppa, use ppa-purge to disable the
    ppa and downgrade packages to the official releases.
    Last edited by again?; May 28th, 2018 at 06:22 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the prompt replies. I have just two questions left.
    1. is the daily freecad uploaded automatically or do I have to run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to get the latest version.
    2. Where do I find a list of the ppa's available on Launchpad.

garyr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You have to update/upgrade daily if that is what you want. IMHO, daily PPAs should only be used by developers, not end users. I hope it turns out well for you, but wouldn't bet on it.

PPAs come and go all the time. I don't know of any list. When I see that the Ubuntu repo version is not at the level I need, I'll google for the "{package-name}+PPA". Using too many PPAs is a good way to get into "APT hell", so it really shouldn't be the go-to method. Most people learn this the hard way.

PPAs are not "approved". OTOH, most F/LOSS projects are "just people" trying to do their best.