Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No nvidia Driver working on New Dell 9570?

Beans

Re: No nvidia Driver working on New Dell 9570?

I spent about 2 days straight on the EXACT process that klaxmaster has gone through on the 9570 (Ubuntu 16.04, tried every driver version, every driver installation method, all the common attempts for login loop with lightdm, .Xauthority, ran nvidia-xconfig, blacklist nouveau, etc. -- literally everything) and his solution in post #28 is finally what worked. THANK YOU!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klaxmaster View Post
    Hey Bashing-om, we got it working.

After my own defeat, and the company starting to take a loss of productivity, (4 new hires with out a laptop for almost a week!) the sys admin and director of it spent a couple days on it, and around 3am last night, got it working.

there is a single kernel that it is working on. all these steps performed on kernel 4.10 through the latest do not work.

except on 4.15..0-15

here is the magic

Cheers, mate. I created an account just to thank you for saving me from having to compile a new kernel to get it working.

Beans

I'm having the same/similar problem, except that things were working until a few days ago after I did some sort of system update (not sure exactly what...) What happens to me now, is when I try to attach my Dell monitor, the mouse and keyboard lock up. (To recover, I hit C-A-F1, remove the Dell monitor and hit C-A-F7 to log back in.) I'm not having trouble with my new big IIIP monitor which is connected via HDMI. I was trying to add the Dell monitor via Thunderbolt. The model of the Dell is P2213

My system:

uname -a
    Linux clem-lt 4.15.0-24-generic #26~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 15 14:35:08 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

* NVidia Driver 396.37
    * X Server version 11.0
    * Server Vendor Version 1.19.6
    * NV-Control Version 1.29

I have an NVidia 1080 card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clemw View Post
    I'm having the same/similar problem, except that things were working until a few days ago after I did some sort of system update (not sure exactly what...) What happens to me now, is when I try to attach my Dell monitor, the mouse and keyboard lock up. (To recover, I hit C-A-F1, remove the Dell monitor and hit C-A-F7 to log back in.) I'm not having trouble with my new big IIIP monitor which is connected via HDMI. I was trying to add the Dell monitor via Thunderbolt. The model of the Dell is P2213

My system:

uname -a
    Linux clem-lt 4.15.0-24-generic #26~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 15 14:35:08 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

* NVidia Driver 396.37
    * X Server version 11.0
    * Server Vendor Version 1.19.6
    * NV-Control Version 1.29

I have an NVidia 1080 card.
    Problem seems a bit different. I did notice that you are not using the suggested kernel though, maybe try the -15 version?
    I have always had a problem with display link on ubuntu (and its recent complete incompatibility with OS X) is the thunderbolt using displaylink?

Beans

Nice, glad it helped!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petersimi View Post
    I spent about 2 days straight on the EXACT process that klaxmaster has gone through on the 9570 (Ubuntu 16.04, tried every driver version, every driver installation method, all the common attempts for login loop with lightdm, .Xauthority, ran nvidia-xconfig, blacklist nouveau, etc. -- literally everything) and his solution in post #28 is finally what worked. THANK YOU!
    Nice! Glad you got your machine working.

also found out recently that the 9560's discontinued. so we have to start using 9570's from here on out. =/

I can already hear the software engineers saying 'i didnt do anything, no changes. it just didnt boot this morning!' when they update their kernel and the machine no longer boots. ,-_-,

Beans

I'm having the same issue. I've run your code, yet after I reboot I run `uname -a` and I'm seeing:

'4.15.0-33-generic...'

It doesn't seem to be installing the older kernal :/ Do you have any idea why that might be?

Beans

just want to be sure you're on ubuntu 16.04 (I don't think 16.04 would grab a 4.15 kernel. in fact, i know it only uses 4.4 by default, unless you dist-upgrade, or install linux-image, even then, you would have to add a repository to go past 4.13)

If you are, you should be able to edit grub to point to the kernel you want. grub otherwise it will auto load the newest version, which in this case, is 4.15.0-33,.

If you REALLY want, you can sudo apt-get purge the kernel after it, but its not totally necessary. If you want to test it before you change grub, you can go to 'advance settings' in the boot menu, and choose a specific kernel
    Last edited by klaxmaster; August 30th, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234