Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 14.04 PC acting weird after changing to new USB keyboard from PS2

Beans

Exclamation Lubuntu 14.04 PC acting weird after changing to new USB keyboard from PS2

Hi,
    I'm running Lubuntu LTS 14.04.04 on my old office PC (a Intel Core 2 Quod) for about 2 years now with a PS2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Today, I bought a new USB keyboard to replace the old PS2 as some keys stopped working and now my PC is acting weird. e.g. When I browse the pages auto reload, auto scrolls, moves pages up and down etc. When I try to scroll using the mouse scroll button it magnifies the web pages. When I type on notepad, the mouse pointer jumps and weird letter combinations get typed without my typing them etc.

I thought I now had a problem with the mouse, so I got a new mouse but still same issue. So I tried removing the new USB keyboard when the PC is turned on and then tried browsing with only the mouse and it works normal. So I thought its because of the new keyboard. I wonder whether it's because I changed from PS2 to USB? I tried to find solutions for this 2.issue on the Net but couldn't find any.

Please help me solve this problem?

(It took me ages to just type this message and post here due to the weirdness.)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Lubuntu 14.04 PC acting weird after changing to new USB keyboard from PS2

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Lubuntu 14.04 is out of support. As a first step I suggest a fresh install of 18.04.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Before you upgrade, remember that ps/2 devices aren't meant to be hot-swapped (unplugged/plugged in while the device is on). That means you can't just switch to a usb keyboard without rebooting your computer first. With this knowledge, you may want to power off, unplug your ps/2 and usb keyboard, and reboot and plug in the keyboard again.

Beans

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the welcome and replies

mörgæs,
    When I first installed linux back in 2016, I first installed the 16 LTS but it gave lots of issues. A technical guy I know said to try 14 LTS, because he thought my old pc's hardware might not be supporting newer versions like .16. That's why I installed 14 lts, and it worked with few minor issues in the browser etc. which I was able to fix. Isn't there any ways I can try before trying to upgrade?

apmarek,
    I removed the PS2 and pluged the USB when the pc was off, so it can't be the issue. I've offed and come back to on the pc several times now and still issue persists.

FYI, I've kept the PC updated regularly by installing all the updates the "Software Updater" notifies.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

A Core 2 Quad is not what I call old. It should be able to run 18.04 without problems.

Best way to find out is trying a live boot.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Morgaes,
    I live booted (with Lubuntu 18.04 on a usb drive) and checked. The issue still persists.

Even in the 18.04 live boot, Clicking the close, magnify, minify buttons of any window don't work. In firefox browser, clicking mouse scroll, magnifies the content etc. When I remove the usb keyboard, the mouse click, scroll buttons etc. work normal but when I replug the usb keyboard, I get the weird actions issue again. Any idea what I can do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This really sounds like a faulty/or incompatible keyboard. (Just my 2 cents worth)
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

1fallen,
    That's a good idea. I didn't know linux required a special keyboard. Don't all keyboards support linux?

Anyway, I will try to get another USB keyboard and check with my pc. How can I know the next USB keyboard I buy will support?

The one I bought was a cheap keyboard called Maxcom brand. In the cover it states it supports Windows XP, 7, 10 etc but no mention of Linux support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

That's a mistake we/ and newer users assume is that they all work right?
    truth is that keyboards need drivers to work and some manufactures just don't care about Linux or maybe the sellers/ manufacturers never bother to test it?.
    Wish I had a list for you to view but I don't.
    Try googling keyboards that work in Linux.
    Good Luck
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have never experienced a wired keyboard not working with GNU/Linux, even counting from my first Ubuntu 5.10 install. Of course it might be broken, though.

Regardless of the keyboard you should get away from 14.04 and install a supported release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast