Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Linux 18.04 with DE KDE Plasma 5.13?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Linux 18.04 with DE KDE Plasma 5.13?

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You can install Kubuntu into the VM directly from the ISO file.

I think most of the KDE's effects won't work in VM because graphic driver in VM only has rudimentary OpenGL support .OP seems to be interested in the bells and whistles KDE has to offer so VM will be a disappointment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I think most of the KDE's effects won't work in VM because graphic driver in VM only has rudimentary OpenGL support .OP seems to be interested in the bells and whistles KDE has to offer so VM will be a disappointment.
    Even with the proprietary driver in the Extension Pack?

I don't care much about those "bells and whistles" so my advice may be off-base. In that case the OP should boot a distro into "Try Ubuntu" mode to use the actual hardware.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Even with the proprietary driver in the Extension Pack?

I don't care much about those "bells and whistles" so my advice may be off-base. In that case the OP should boot a distro into "Try Ubuntu" mode to use the actual hardware.

OP didn't say he has a Nvidia card (or I might have missed it) but even if he does, I still don't think it will work. VM uses its own graphic driver, what works for the host doesn't descend as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    OP didn't say he has a Nvidia card (or I might have missed it) but even if he does, I still don't think it will work. VM uses its own graphic driver, what works for the host doesn't descend as far as I know.
    No, I don't have any special graphics card installed. My laptop has graphics card integrated with the motherboard.
    In the past, I could change/add HDD & RAM in my desktops and laptop. I thought I can buy a graphics card and put it into my laptop anytime. It was only recently I learnt that I cannot add a graphics card to my laptop as graphics card is different from adding/changing RAM. For my next laptop, I plan to get 1/2/4 GB graphics card.
    Hardware: Dell Inspiron 3543 Intel(R) Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.2 GHz x 4; 8GB RAM; 1 TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi all,

Just want to update the thread.

Yesterday, I installed KDE Plasma 5.13 successfully. Let me play around with the DE (widgets and other bells & whistles) to see if it is better than Gnome 3.28. Thanks to all for your advice!

Let me mark this thread as closed
    Hardware: Dell Inspiron 3543 Intel(R) Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.2 GHz x 4; 8GB RAM; 1 TB HDD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12