Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the users gone?

Beans

Re: Where have all the users gone?

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyrushh View Post
    I think "Era of forums" has finished. Everybody can find quick answers in Google and a lot of communities in the social media. I will miss this warm times.
    I find that distressing.

I have a membership in a Raspberry Pi group on Facebook. It's not searchable, it's not browseable, and anything over a couple days old is buried forever.

Not only that, people get angry because you suggest search terms or even paste a link to a project doing exactly what they want to do. They seem to want you to read the material you found, build the project according to their specific needs, test it, and then tell them, step by step, how to get it done. Or better yet, send them the finished product. For free.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

my train of thought run off the tracks, many decades ago.. yet i find hope here. this forum is dedicated to free expression, with the web, an things involved. social sites try to influence/thought. i hope linux an so many derivatives, will take us forward, including ubuntu. this place has yet to wake up., in the minds, of those that dont know.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans

I feel the same. I love forums first of all because these people become for you like a family. You always stay in touch and support each other. heh. sad.

Beans

I was never a member, but I kinda miss the Linsux forums...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It was a lot of fun.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyrushh View Post
    I think "Era of forums" has finished. Everybody can find quick answers in Google and a lot of communities in the social media. I will miss this warm times.
    Interesting thought. Don't think forums are finished though. When you search for Ubuntu questions and answers for many things you land on this forum.

Being an active member of a community is another thing entirely though. Can be quite a time commitment and those that control/moderate the community play a huge role in its success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm still poking around. Though I'm not a long time or high activity user. My activity has gone down as I usually find myself getting into arguments or fights, no one wins that way. I have come to finally realize that everyone is a badass behind a screen and keyboard (sarcasm), even me. Not something to be proud of. As such I only post if I genuinely have something that I am certain of being helpful or logical. I rarely post with problems anymore, only because I've solved nearly every problem I've had with my server and laptop, both Ubuntu. Everything is sorted just right, and if I haven't got anything nice to say, I shut it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I'm still poking around. Though I'm not a long time or high activity user. My activity has gone down as I usually find myself getting into arguments or fights, no one wins that way. I have come to finally realize that everyone is a badass behind a screen and keyboard (sarcasm), even me. Not something to be proud of. As such I only post if I genuinely have something that I am certain of being helpful or logical. I rarely post with problems anymore, only because I've solved nearly every problem I've had with my server and laptop, both Ubuntu. Everything is sorted just right, and if I haven't got anything nice to say, I shut it.
    As momma always said to me. Got nothing nice to say. Don't say anything!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VChief View Post
    I also want to see Linux stay "owned" by the community, not "owned" by companies.
    Microsoft and IBM are going to push for more control over the operating system-- they wont achieve perfect control but they will have the influence that matters to them. This is not a victory, in my opinion. Also people have options, but I think they underestimate the amount of corporate influence.

Canonical (Ubuntu) is also a corporation. I don't put them in the same category as Microsoft and IBM, though they are likely to do things with Microsoft and IBM that I personally think are unhelpful in this regard.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Your post is about 8 months old, but I was actually going to ask the same thing. I used to frequent this forum daily for lots of active chat, but it and most of the other areas on UF's are kinda dead. I also was very active in our local LUG's, I've helped to start two, one in 2000 and another in 2005, but both fizzed out after a few years. I've wanted to start another one, but alas I think Linux has become mainstream enough that LUG's are kinda unneeded. Being a former BBSer I miss the comradery of a local techie hangout or even an online one if I could find a community with folks that could get to know one another. Most forums anymore are a revolving door of anonymous folks. I've looked at SDF.ORG, The Well, and some other old-school forums, but most have dried up. And I don't care for mainstream social media like Facebook. I'd love to hear other options of places to hangout not only for some techie chat but just general chatter.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast