Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the users gone?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Where have all the users gone?

Quote Originally Posted by speedwell68 View Post
    I am a member of a lot of forums. They range in subjects from Shaving, Classic Volkwagens to Vaping and FOSS. They are all slowly dying a death. It is caused by the rise of platforms like Facebook and Reddit. It is how things go. Forums killed Newsgroups, you needed to setup a separate client to access newsgroups which required a certain about of know how and effort. Then you had to trawl through loads of different groups to find what you wanted. The forums came along and it was as easy as opening a browser and registering, but you would have to register at many forums to find what you wanted and a vibe you liked. Then Faceache and Reddit came along. All you have to do is register once and all of your mates will be there too.
    I agree with this (and many other things said in the other posts) in the sense that I observe the same. I don't follow that many forums but what they have in common is mainly long time users posting and only a few new users at all. This forum still has plenty of new users but most of them don't come for the community as it seems.

Good to see many of the old names posting in this thread!

Beans

Newer online spaces have taken over--reddit, Discord, and Slack among others--just as forums took over from Usenet groups and BBS.

Beans
    Hidden!

When I need an information, I can almost always find it on google. For those who are looking for social networking, there are still a lot of tools available on Internet (facebook groups, etc). These forums are very likely to have reached their goal in being very exhaustive as I dare someone not to find the information they was looking for on them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Great thread!
    12 years ago this forum would really be 'hopping'.
    I would love stopping in nightly and The Cafe would have
    new threads/post all nite. Help was needed a lot more back then
    but now that the majority of questions have been asked/answered
    that a lot of people can just google for what they could have gotten here at the forum.
    Remember most people were learning back in the day and help was so easy to get
    whereas now some people have been run off and berated for not 'asking 'google'
    or doing your 'research'.
    Also not to make 'trouble' but the forum here has gotten a little stricter and less fun.
    My thoughts.
    Last edited by DougieFresh4U; July 13th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i am hoping movng back to ubuntu will be a good thing and the knowledgeable support by good people is still here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I never would've thought this. After having a few threads closed there as duplicates, that weren't truly duplicates, I stopped using that site. A lot of Google searches lead me there for answers and I am thankful for that, but will never log in there again.
    out of curiosity, what makes a post a duplicate? i added some to a thread i had marked as solved, more threads than once, but seemed to be related to the original problem. it was suggested not to duplicate posts.. i think i was multiplying a post. only been here a couple of years or so... roundabout.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i too had a mod say start a new thread when i was having a discussion and question about the relevant topic at hand. he also said the same thing to another person same thread. I thought it was proper to expand on or investigate the topic of he thread. made me feel like crawling under a rock. Many mods have been great help and extremely fair about directing a thread or commenting on people's participation. not sure where all that is coming from. but then again i am new here. haven't been around since ubuntu started. and yes that was a zoo in many ways. if i knew the answer i would not ask this stuff. if i was not so confused than i also would not ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello bodhin2, if the thread in question is the one I asked you to start your own thread in, I will explain, we only allow one person and one topic per thread in the support sub-forums, we call it hijacking someone else's, thread the reason for that even though the symptoms may seem the same most of the time the cause is totally different and it takes away from the OP getting the help he needs and you yourself, you both deserve to get individual help, also when searchers are looking for solutions using there favorite search engine when they come across a thread marked solved we want them to actually find the answer to the thread relevant to there search.

We do not allow discussions in the support sub-forums they should take place in the cafe or Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat. We also have a policy on keeping a thread on topic so please remember the title of this thread. You do not have to feel bad because I asked you to start a new thread that is how we learn, we were all new here at one time, I do recommend that you read the posting guidelines in my signature and also the CoC here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules

I was being helpful and doing my duty when I posted in the other thread as I am now, enjoy the forum and know we are all in this together. If you would like to communicate more with me please do so in a pm and instead of taking a thread off topic, yes I know it was already taken off topic and no need to feel bad about it as I said this is all a learning process.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

we are good. i just see both sides. thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    I was being helpful and doing my duty when I posted in the other thread as I am now, enjoy the forum and know we are all in this together. If you would like to communicate more with me please do so in a pm and instead of taking a thread off topic, yes I know it was already taken off topic and no need to feel bad about it as I said this is all a learning process.

Thanks
    +1 ^^^^^^^
    I can't think of a nicer personality as far as a online presence>>bear in mind the staff use just matter of fact statements and are not meant to be taken personally. (If personal, it is "usually" handled via a PM)
    They just try their best at keeping order here in our very friendly Forum.
    The example wildmanne39 refers to>>>say in another forum would/could have been a lot more harsh.
    Sorry I'm now off topic also.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast