Thread: Where have all the users gone?

Beans

Re: Where have all the users gone?

I was never a member

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ubuntu Forums used to be my social media. But now with Ubuntu and Linux becoming more mainstream, and the various social medias available not only on your computer but on your phone, it feels like the usual people here have become scattered.

I would love it if maybe the Ubuntu Forums could morph beyond the walls of regular forums and into an acutal social media of some sort. Don't think it would work inside of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat because there is too little control to squash trolls.

Closest things available now is System76 which is active in Twitter and others.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

That raises a good point.

I use social media on my phone, but have you tried to use Ubuntu forums on your phone? It's pretty cumbersome. Moreover, the site as presented to mobile devices is dummied down, and I wind up choosing the "desktop" version of the side because of it.

I personally don't think Ubuntu forums should be lumped together with social media. There is a social aspect to a forum, but its focus is support and probably second place would be collaboration of like minds on projects or news of import to the forum members.

But in the migration from monitors with big screens to phones and tablets, the forum software designed for big screens does not necessarily make itself easy to use on tablets or phones. The problem is compounded by the fact that not all phones have the same resolution or dot pitch, and two phones of the same model have users who choose different font sizes.

What might bring more users back (or slow the loss of existing users) would be careful attention to making the site useful for various sizes of mobile devices. Not making a dumber version of the site, but to enhance usability of the site for smaller screens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

When viewing in desktop mode, what do you find to be cumbersome?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

My phone is a Samsung sgs9. It has a higher resolution than my desktop, but of course the dot pitch is much smaller.

In desktop mode the page is rendered the same as if it were on my 24" monitors.

1. This makes the links and buttons tiny and hard to read, or click.
    2. It makes the text on the screen hard to read.
    3. The page width is huge, so reading content you need to scroll right and left to see what was typed.
    4. Edit/post mode, the text box is bigger than the screen (zoomed) and you can't see everything you typed even on the current line.
    5. Often but not always, the session is lost while you're responding to a post. This is not a timeout, you can quick reply and post and it still lost the session. Other times it works.

That's what I could think of off the top of my head.

Another thing, when using it in mobile mode, the login didn't work; it had the same login process from before the forum hack awhile back, and that page was defunct. I don't know if this has been fixed as I haven't tried to login that way for quite some time.

Beans

Surely website developers have smart phones?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The first four are limitations of the device. Of course things will be smaller on a smaller, denser screen. Zooming in will reduce the visible portion.

Losing your connection/session is a function of cellular service and how it works.

As far as designing the interface for phones -- that is purposely "simplified and dumbed down" as are many mobile sites to reduce data transfer.

These are all expected at the current state of the art.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Not exactly.

There should be a way to set the page width. I should be able to read the entire page at a width I choose, and a font size I choose, or the same with a column in the page -- which can happen, only the width of the text areas makes it pretty much useless. Or at least choose a minimum widget size, minimum font size and whatever else is necessary. I don't have definite ideas on that or a definite solution, but there is some new "best practices" that need to happen somehow.

The text areas should flow as necessary.

As it is now, Firefox and probably other mobile browsers allow you to read "just the article" where html5 is being used. But there are limits to the usefulness of that. You can't reply in that mode for example.

This isn't really a complaint about this particular forum, but about forum software in general.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I still here but with less time to spend on forum. However I dont use phone or social apps to visit a forum or search in internet, for me phones or other type of this tools isnt the best option to do works around iternet I still use the old method - computer Desktop.

The forum of Ubuntu lost participation for the last years and the old users have other interests, perspectives of use or simply make a family or use other Distro projects.
    Ubuntu with me & me with Ubuntu! my GNU/Linux https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTe.../Flavitu-Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you were able to "fit to width" on your phone with a particular font size that you are able to see, everything would be squeezed out of a toothpaste tube and pushed down the page in a narrow column.

My websites do that, but on a cell phone that can become a pretty narrow line of toothpaste.

This is all part of the known conditions of using a mobile device. And that is why the mobile version of the UF exists.

Is that keeping people from coming here? I have no idea. I don't think it keeps me from using my cell phone.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast