Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 is great.

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 is great.

Hello,

I just switched from Debian 9 to Ubuntu 18.04, and it is better in many aspects. It is stable, more and more user-friendly while keeping high flexibility.

I have nothing more to say, but thanks to all the developers of Ubuntu who work hard to improve this wonderful OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 is great.

Apparently you were using Debian for a while. That's a great achievement because to make vanilla debian usable as a regular desktop requires great knowledge and skill!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papangul View Post
    Apparently you were using Debian for a while. That's a great achievement because to make vanilla debian usable as a regular desktop requires great knowledge and skill!
    Debian 7 Wheezy was my first Linux Distro I ever used and although confused at first I found it to be easy to navigate and use for what I needed.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Interesting, I just made the reverse switch (Ubuntu 18.04 to Debian 9.4), and am never going back! After using Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop for years, I had more trouble than ever recreating my desired environment after the upgrade to 18.04. Among other things: (i) I was unable to install software from the Software GUI launched from menus, because the authentication dialogue would not appear, and instead I had to use sudo -i ... from the command line; (ii) if I tried logging into Xfce after logging out of the Gnome desktop, there would follow an infinite loop of login screens that could only be exited by restarting my computer; (iii) I was absolutely unable to bring up the login page at a local wifi hotspot, apparently because of an issue with security checking by systemd-resolved, a fix for which (https://www.hecticgeek.com/2017/04/u...emd-dns-issues) caused such slow loading that some sites would time out; and (iv) my powertop startup script would put my USB mouse to sleep after a few seconds of inactivity, which took me forever to figure out because it hadn't been a problem with the same script running in 16.04.

After a couple of weeks of banging my head against a wall, I said Enough, and decided to try Debian 9.4. Two hours after installing the o.s., I had basically recreated the environment I was after. And subsequent tweaking has gone incredibly smoothly. Granted, I am not the typical user, what with my preferences for terminal windows and system menus, instead of icons and search bars. I read everywhere that Debian is for experienced users, which I guess I am, but more than that I am a user that likes to customize. And I have found that harder to do with each successive release of Ubuntu. I am very grateful for the variety of flavors of linux, which some people consider a drawback, because it accommodates dinosaurs like me, as well as the 18.04 fan who started this thread!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kayak View Post
    Interesting, I just made the reverse switch (Ubuntu 18.04 to Debian 9.4), and am never going back! After using Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop for years, I had more trouble than ever recreating my desired environment after the upgrade to 18.04. Among other things: (i) I was unable to install software from the Software GUI launched from menus, because the authentication dialogue would not appear, and instead I had to use sudo -i ... from the command line; (ii) if I tried logging into Xfce after logging out of the Gnome desktop, there would follow an infinite loop of login screens that could only be exited by restarting my computer; (iii) I was absolutely unable to bring up the login page at a local wifi hotspot, apparently because of an issue with security checking by systemd-resolved, a fix for which (https://www.hecticgeek.com/2017/04/u...emd-dns-issues) caused such slow loading that some sites would time out; and (iv) my powertop startup script would put my USB mouse to sleep after a few seconds of inactivity, which took me forever to figure out because it hadn't been a problem with the same script running in 16.04.
    1) It seems that it is a very weird setup. If you want xfce why don't you just go for xubuntu? Mixing several DE's (unless something similar like gnome /gnome fallback) is never a very good idea.

2) You said you upgraded. Well maybe a bad upgrade broke something? A fresh install is always the way to go especially if 1) you have some unusual configuration or 2) big change in old -> new as in 16.04 to 18.04
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 29th, 2018 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    You said you upgraded. Well maybe a bad upgrade broke something? A fresh install is always the way to go especially if 1) you have some unusual configuration or 2) big change in old -> new as in 16.04 to 18.04
    I've never had any good luck when doing an upgrade from old version to new version rather it was Linux or Windows.

Seems any problems or issues move over from old version to new version so a clean new install is the only choice in my experience.

All of my installs are OOTB no unusual configuration or setup.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: Ubuntu 18.04 is great.

I agree!
    Been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake and this is the best release ever.
    They finally put the - [ ] X back on the right side again. Gnome default again!!
    What else could you ask for?

Kudos to all the 18.04 developers!!!
    Last edited by sparky3332; June 13th, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Beans

Hello all
    I am sorry, I have to complain for the new Ubuntu 18.04.
    I like control desktop like Unity. I am sorry, that the Unity had a lot of bugs. Because the system of control desktop was genius. It was easy, ergonomic, user freandly, in my opinion.

I have been using the Ubuntu 16.04 very long time to my satisfaction. But I broke the system by drivers for AMD grafic card, therefore I have instaled the new Ubuntu 18.04. It was horrible/terrible. Nothing does not work there. The control of desktop is terrible. It is nor Unity, nor gnome. Miss hot corners, direct show list of workplaces (spread list, I have 6 workplaces and control via ALT+F1-6). You must click button acitivity on Left top corner AND MOVE mouse to left side of screen !!! And there click and click and click to the right workplace! Grrr.
    The printer wich, in 16.04 works corrrectly, in Ubuntu 18.04 does not work.
    I must install any drivers from internet.

In Ubuntu doeas not work RDP to Windows server via RDP gateway (bug witch certification) - grrr.
    And a lot of little things does not work, I had to searched on the internet for solution.

When I installed Ubuntu 16.04, that I did not have to do. It worked well on first start.

After Unity first meet I had to get used to it. But it took about few days. Then I found out, that the system is great. After instaling Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome Shell. I did not get used to the new system of controll of desktop. It realy not.
    I have really tried a lot.
    I really tried.
    My patience came breaking after about 14 days.
    I searched the new desktop for me. And maybe I found it. I am testing Cinnamon desktop. And now it works as I want. I regret that the Unity is no longer there. Cinnamon is not Unity, but I can set it very like Unity. And it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peklovpekle View Post
    I have been using the Ubuntu 16.04 very long time to my satisfaction. But I broke the system by drivers for AMD grafic card, therefore I have instaled the new Ubuntu 18.04.
    I always give the open source driver a try and if it works well than I have no reason to change especially when using AMD /ATI graphics cards.

I have had some issues when using Nvidia graphics cards and have had to install the proprietary driver however that was only with Ubuntu 14.04 and with Ubuntu 18.04 the open source driver works well OOTB.

All of my computer are eight to ten years old and haven't run into to any driver problems.

I have found that certain computers just don't like certain Linux distros so I'm glad to have all of the different choices which Linux offers.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

so far and knock on a lot of hardwood i am very pleased with 18.04. coming from a totally different DE and distro i find it quite stable in the few weeks i have been using it. i am pleased.