Thread: Windows 10 not detected by Ubuntu 18.04 installation

Beans

Windows 10 not detected by Ubuntu 18.04 installation

Hello - I am attempting to install Ubuntu 18.04 onto an Asus desktop that has Windows 10 installed. I would prefer to use dual boot. I have the space partitioned for Ubuntu and disabled the secure boot in the UEFI settings. However, I only have the "Erase disk" option come up (picture attached) where there should be an option to install alongside Windows 10. Any suggestions as to how I can get this machine to dual boot?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Windows 10 not detected by Ubuntu 18.04 installation

Does the machine still boot to Windows if you remove the installation media?

Beans

In what mode is Windows installed? What partitioning is used on your disk? What mode have you set the machine to boot (UEFI or legacy, or prefer one over the other)? Most likely Windows is not seen because it's not installed in the same mode the installer is running. Maybe your disk is dos partitioned, and no more partitions may be made, so no offer is made other than "wipe". More information about your hardware is vital to any reasonable suggestions.

Beans

Another thing you need to check is that hibernation/fastboot are off as Ubuntu will not mount hibernated partitions and thus they will not show during the install. The link below is the Ubuntu documentation and dual booting with windows 10 UEFI.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans

Thanks for the replies - what worked was setting the UEFI ROM setting to 'use current' instead of the bios option (in addition to making sure that fast boot was off).

Beans

I had a similar issue with Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 LTS. I have Windows installed on first half of 512 Samsung 970 Pro nvme. Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 LTS setup does not detect this installation. After trying a number of things, I finally installed Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS then upgraded to 18.04.1 LTS. There seems to be a bug in 18.04.1 LTS setup, because previous version works fine.

Beans

Changing the "UEFI/Legacy Boot Priority" parameter to "UEFI First" through BIOS setup (Lenovo thinkpad x240) worked for me.