Thread: Recover old account, username change

Beans

Recover old account, username change

Hi,

years back on this website I had the username Na-Fiann, which was linked to my e-mail address. I've since created a Ubuntu One account
    but my forums account was never linked to it. I tried deleting and recreating my account, but that didn't do the trick. I'm pretty sure it's linked
    to my e-mail address since I still have the notifications of that account in my mail account.

Is there any chance I could recover access to my account? If possible, I'd like to change my username at the same time, to one of:

dgel
    dreugeworst
    dgelling

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Recover old account, username change

I've renamed this account to dgel as an interim measure, if only because it was possible to infer one of your email addresses from the previous username.

The Na-Fiann forum account has a hotmail email address registered to it and the change history for the Na-Fiann account shows that this was always so - you did not ever change your email in the Na-Fiann account. The email registered to this newer forum account is different.

Just as a point of information - this forum account, now with the username dgel - was created in March 2014, over 4 years ago, when you first logged into the forum with your Ubuntu One account. The Na-Fiann account is not linked to any Ubuntu One account, and was last logged into on July 4th 2013, only a few days before Ubuntu One SSO login was introduced here. All this doesn't make any difference to what we can do now, but I thought the details might be helpful.

You are welcome to continue to use the newer dgel account, but if you wish to get back into the Na-Fiann account you will need to prove you are the owner by quoting the email address associated with it. For your own security, please don't post that here. For now, just let us know whether you want back into the Na-Fiann account, or whether you wish to continue to use this dgel account. Once you state you preference we can work out a strategy to get you back into the Na-Fiann account, if that is your wish.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Hi, thanks for changing my e-mail and looking into this. Now that you mention it, it makes sense to me that the original account was linked to hotmail instead.
    In fact, looking at the ubuntu forums mails I have in my current e-mail account, they seem to have been forwarded from there.

If possible, I'd like to recover that account, I don't know if I can access the e-mail account itself, but it should forward anything sent to it =)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Normally we would ask you to set the hotmail address as preferred in Ubuntu One and do some other tinkering, but since you are not sure whether the hotmail account is still active, pm me with the full hotmail address as a security check. I can then adjust configurations so that the older Na-Fiann forum account is linked to your Ubuntu One account, which means that you would log into Na-Fiann.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Concluded.