Thread: Help with video codecs/software

Beans

Help with video codecs/software

Hello, I'm kind of new to Linux/Ubuntu 18.04. As most people I migrated from Windows and one of my biggest concerns is about audio/video playback. In Windows I was used to download CCCP codec pack, which is the most recommended codec pack for playing anime encoded at Hi10p, Hi4444, h.264/h.265 and such, along with MPC-HC. The last time I used a Linux distro I used KMPlayer for playing anime but it didn't work that well, honestly.

I'm looking for suggestions on this topic, which video player and codes/codec pack should I use? Most people that use Linux recommend VLC but I honestly don't think it is that good, as in many Windows/macOS communities it's really hated because of all the problems it gives even when it's constantly being developed, in contrast with CCCP codec pack which last release was in 2015-2016.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Help with video codecs/software

As player I would recommend VLC.
    For codecs install Ubuntu Restricted Extras

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 with Artificial Intelligence. VLC is my go-to program and I have rarely had any issues at all. My second choice would be Gstreamer. For Gstreamer you will need the GOOD, BAD, and UGLY dependencies added.

Beans

I use mpv, the successor to the powerful but venerable mplayer, as the player engine, and SMPlayer as its GUI interface. mpv supports just about any codec and container format you can throw at it. You'd still need to download software (libdvdcss2) to decode DVDs. There are tons of guides on the Internet about how to do this. For anything in an unencrypted file, mpv+smplayer alone will do the trick.

Code:
    sudo apt install mpv smplayer
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I use mpv, the successor to the powerful but venerable mplayer, as the player engine, and SMPlayer as its GUI interface. mpv supports just about any codec and container format you can throw at it. You'd still need to download software (libdvdcss2) to decode DVDs. There are tons of guides on the Internet about how to do this. For anything in an unencrypted file, mpv+smplayer alone will do the trick.

Code:
    sudo apt install mpv smplayer
    +1 to mpv+smplayer. As a video player I think it is better than vlc, but one doesn't have to choose one way or the other, one can have both.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 22nd, 2018 at 12:00 AM.