Thread: (Linux Lite) Resetting Administrative Password - Root Password for Maintenance

Beans

(Linux Lite) Resetting Administrative Password - Root Password for Maintenance

I am trying to clear an old HDD but I cannot remember the administrative password. I went to the recovery menu, but when I went to the root selection it requested a "root password for maintenance." Does this mean I encrypted my drive or is there a work around for this? I would much rather be able to figure this out on my own than throw away a completely fine HDD.

Beans

Re: (Linux Lite) Resetting Administrative Password - Root Password for Maintenance

Thread moved to the "Ubuntu/Debian BASED" forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: (Linux Lite) Resetting Administrative Password - Root Password for Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
    I am trying to clear an old HDD but I cannot remember the administrative password. I went to the recovery menu, but when I went to the root selection it requested a "root password for maintenance." Does this mean I encrypted my drive or is there a work around for this? I would much rather be able to figure this out on my own than throw away a completely fine HDD.
    IDK about if you encrypted, first you could just reformat the HDD or follow this to reset the password in question: https://askubuntu.com/questions/2400...ative-password
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Thanks! I'll see about resetting the password as I might want to save some files that might be on it, but if it comes to it I'll reformat the HDD, will reply soon with an update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    IDK about if you encrypted, first you could just reformat the HDD or follow this to reset the password in question: https://askubuntu.com/questions/2400...ative-password
    I actually realize that this is the step I have already taken, but I'm getting a specific reply saying "give root password for maintenance." None of the past passwords I can remember seem to work, sadly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I'm not sure your following all the text written on the link I listed then, it works trust me.
    Read with care word for word.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Okay, so I think I may miscommunicated my problem, but this thread seems to somewhat address my issue. Problem is after I push my first 'e' on Recovery Mode, I'm not presented with selectable options but this screen instead. I'm positive that I'm doing something wrong but I'm unsure what exactly...