Lenovo ThinkCentre M57e SFF Desktop
    - Core 2 Duo E4600
    - 3GB RAM
    - 160GB HDD
    - Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Monitor
    ASUS 24"
    - Res. 1920 x 1080

I use this old PC as a test rig and have recently installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04, then Xubuntu 18.04 and experienced no problems with these.

I was able to successfully install Ubuntu 18.04 from the live dvd, but when I rebooted after the installation the boot stalls then hangs at the splash screen, before the login screen.

I read online to change the Grub options to incude "nomodeset", which I did and was able to boot into the desktop so as suspected the problem appears to be graphics. In this mode the display is set to 1280 x 1024 and there are no other options available, I assume because this is the limitation of the generic graphics driver being used.
    There is no graphics card installed, so the PC is using the onboard graphics.

Is there a way to install a driver that will work with this PC? I'm hoping to get this resolved before I install Ubuntu 18.04 on my main PC just in case that has the same problem.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu can't load onboard Intel graphics

check that xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed

Beans

Same problem

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes, xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed and is at the latest version(2:2.99.917+git20171229-1)

Beans
    Distro

It just occurred to me to check "about" details. That shows:
    Graphics llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128bits)

I also checked Software and Updates > Additional Drivers which indicated,
    No additional drivers are available.
    No proprietary drivers are in use.

Not sure if this is useful info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For an old-ish Intel Express I think it's better to forget about Ubuntu and stick to Mate or Xubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by boz_1812 View Post
    I'm hoping to get this resolved before I install Ubuntu 18.04 on my main PC just in case that has the same problem.
    Do they have the same graphics processor?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

You're right. The older Intel graphics are the problem. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on a newer PC without any problems. I'll leave my old test PC running Xubuntu 18.04, actually it runs quite well. Faster than the WIN10 slug that lives in the corner and is only started to receive updates.
    Xubuntu loads a video module "i915". Not sure if that is enough to identify it.
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    For an old-ish Intel Express I think it's better to forget about Ubuntu and stick to Mate or Xubuntu.
    Um, come on guys, is this really the "solution"? To not run Ubuntu 18.04? I have the exact same problem in Oct. 2018 after finally upgrading to 18.04 LTS and this is supposed to be it? I need a new computer if I want to have more than VESA screenmodes? One of the reasons I run linux is that I don't need new hardware every few years to perform the same every-day tasks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@gr0nd, if you need help, please start your own thread. We discourage thread hijacks here.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.