Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the purpose of Netplan?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is the purpose of Netplan?

So I crawled out from under my rock today by installing Ubuntu 18.04 and I see that /etc/network/interfaces has been replaced by something called "Netplan". I fail to see how Netplan makes anything better. Is there a simple way to gut Netplan from my Ubuntu install and just stick with "what I know best"?
    Old school

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: What is the purpose of Netplan?

It can, with difficulty, be done. These are the steps:

# Install ifupdown with sudo apt install ifupdown
    # Purge netplan with sudo apt purge netplan
    # Configure /etc/network/interfaces and/or /etc/network/interfaces.d accordingly to your needs (man 5 interfaces can be of some help).
    # Restart the networking service with sudo systemctl restart networking; systemctl status networking or sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart; /etc/init.d/networking status

But why? netplan is the way of the future and, eventually, will subsume /etc/network/interfaces entirely. Why not learn and use it now?

Is this a server or a desktop installation? If a desktop, I'd suggest setting your configurations in Network Manager. If a server, it's really not that difficult to set up netplan.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I miss 16 bit operating systems. Alas, time has moved on.

The Red Hat family is also moving away from /etc/network/interfaces. Change is inevitable. Nothing progesses if it stays the same.

I am old enough to remember when *nix user info and home were located in /usr. /etc was where stuff went when nobody was sure where it should go. Things have changed since I started with all of this stuff in the 70s.
    Last edited by QIII; May 17th, 2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by espressobeanie View Post
    So I crawled out from under my rock today by installing Ubuntu 18.04 and I see that /etc/network/interfaces has been replaced by something called "Netplan". I fail to see how Netplan makes anything better. Is there a simple way to gut Netplan from my Ubuntu install and just stick with "what I know best"?
    I feel ya. I'm less unhappy with netplan than some other changes the last few releases.
    The netplan project has tried to answer your questions: https://netplan.io/faq
    Why?
    Using netplan gives a central location to describe simple to complex networking configurations that function from Desktop to Server and from Cloud to IoT. Specifically, for systems with networkd, this relieves the user from having to configure up to three different files per device or configuration.
    When I read that, it seems netplan was an attempt to fix the networkd problem.

How to go back to ifupdown? https://netplan.io/faq#how-to-go-back-to-ifupdown

I've seen a few people in these forums having issues that netplan isn't ready to solve, at least that is how it appears. Mainly around bridge setups.

I haven't moved any of my systems to 18.04 at this point. Netplan is part of the issues I'm not prepared to tackle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Sigh. I'm going to have to get a better handle on it all because I will run into it with my clients.

C'est la Vie!

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

I see I'm not the only old grey-beard sot to immediately run into this same problem. Seems to me if we're going to replace something that works pretty well and is well understood with something completely new that we could at least provide the same or equivalent functionality.

After spending quite a while this morning researching a similar problem with iptables it appears that the solution is to embrace the "uncomplicated" complication of using the "uncomplicated firewall" instead of the (again well known and understood) iptables. Then enable UFW so it starts at boot; this was done previously with a pre-up command in the interfaces file.
    Last edited by tburger60; May 17th, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Ha! Once you have got your head around netplan, you may want to look at nftables. Here are my firewall rules :
    Code:
    ~$ sudo nft list ruleset
    table inet FILTER {
    	chain INPUT {
    		type filter hook input priority 1; policy drop;
    		ct state established,related accept
    		ct state invalid drop
    		iif "lo" accept
    		icmpv6 type { echo-request, nd-router-advert, nd-neighbor-solicit, nd-neighbor-advert } accept
    		ip saddr 192.168.0.0/24 accept
    		tcp dport 6881 accept
    		udp dport 6881 accept
    		tcp flags { syn } counter packets 0 bytes 0 reject
    	}
    }
    Change is the only constant, as they say.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The gazelle that does not run is a meal for lions.

Beans

Thanks for that - I will certainly look into nftables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

With all due respect for my colleagues, few of you have longer, whiter beards than old Chili. I have seen a lot of things change over the many years that I've run Linux. Usually, the choice is to learn it now or learn it later. We can only put off change for so long until it is simply no longer supported, it's a security flaw and/or there is no-one left on the forums that even remembers it.

Not many of us remember how to connect to an 802.11b WEP network purely by command line and I don't have wooden wheels on my sleek silver BMW.

End rant.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast