Thread: Webcam/mic not working with chrome/firefox since update to bionic beaver

Beans

Webcam/mic not working with chrome/firefox since update to bionic beaver

Hello all,

I'm not that savvy with linux, but I've been a casual user for about 15 years. My google-fu is getting me nowhere on my webcam/mic/browser permissions(?) issue.

Okay, so I installed the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver), everything went well!

I haven't had any issues like this before the update. I didn't notice any issue until I tried to make a video call and got the error you'll see below.

Firstly, I opened Guvcview and I can see myself:

I opened Chrome, and both discord and facebook do not let me use the webcam/mic (nor do they ask me for permission to use it, the little popup by the Secure Lock symbol does not appear).

I opened the same in Firefox, and I'm able to use the webcam/mic in facebook but there is an otherworldly lag in the audio. When I close the call, all the audio "catches up" all at once, after the window is closed. It's making it impossible to do calls in Firefox.

I went through Chrome and allowed all the things:

-------------

But I still receive this notification when I start a video call:

----
    It says "Click to Turn on Camera & Microphone" But there is nothing to click! I've turned off my adblocker, I've allowed pop-ups. I've clicked all the things.

On discord, it shows the following image Very Quickly before disappearing:

----
    I have refreshed, I have tried again!

Basically done similar steps in FF but while I can USE facebook video chat on FF, the audio is ridiculous. I will be eternally grateful for anyone that can get one of the websites on one of the browsers to be functional, as that's almost the only thing I use this laptop for. Please let me know if there are any specific information that you need from me (and how to generate the info, because I'm a filthy casual).

Thank you in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Emily
    Last edited by emilyann2; May 24th, 2018 at 11:16 AM.

Beans

Re: Webcam/mic not working with chrome/firefox since update to bionic beaver

It's been 5 days and I haven't seen any new posts regarding this topic. I can have updated everything I can, and am able to use my webcam/mic in other capacities, just not together on these websites. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards

Beans

Re: Webcam/mic not working with chrome/firefox since update to bionic beaver

I gave up, reformatted the hard drive and installed Ubuntu with no artificial flavours or colours. Problem solved.