Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS quality - How to improve the distro ?

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu 16.04 LTS quality - How to improve the distro ?

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS last year on my laptop, and unfortunately, i have been a bit disappointed by this release,
    for the annoying bugs i've had with it.

mostly:
    - Wifi issues
    - NetworkManager
    - app crashing

I summarized and explained them in this blog post: https://wenzel.github.io/2018/05/02/...appointed.html

The reason i open this thread is because i like Ubuntu and i want it to be improved and raise the bar higher.
    These kinds of bugs should not exist anymore.

I would like some feedback from the community and the people working on Ubuntu everyday.
    What can we do ?

Thanks guys !

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS quality - How to improve the distro ?

then maybe you should try 18.04 lts & see if it has the improvements your looking for. 16 is an older release, many changes since then.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mathieu-tarral View Post
    The reason i open this thread is because i like Ubuntu and i want it to be improved and raise the bar higher.
    These kinds of bugs should not exist anymore.
    I looked through your blog post and have to say that I haven't had the problems that you have had with any recent Ubuntu release across four items of hardware. I stopped using a Dell Inspiron 17R (N7110) laptop in late 2016 which at the time was running Ubuntu 16.04 - no issues at all. Most installations have survived an upgrade and three are on laptops used only on wi-fi.

Have you formally raised these issues as bug reports on Launchpad or looked to see if there is an existing report to which you can add your comments and any clarification of what the fix might be?

I don't think your experience of Ubuntu 16.04 is representative of what the distribution's many users see. We all have issues to a degree but not so many as you seem to have at this time. I wonder if a re-installation or an installation on another item of hardware might be more successful and give you something much nearer to what you obviously and rightly expected?
    Last edited by PaulW2U; May 16th, 2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added third paragraph

Beans

I have installed 16.04 on several laptops, all work beautifully. Definitely not my experience. Did you try reinstalling?

Beans

Wasn't really a fan of Ubuntu 16.04 although really liked Lubuntu 16.04 as it for me always worked OOTB.

If you want an improvement over Ubuntu 16.04 I recommend Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver it's 100% better imo.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    If you want an improvement over Ubuntu 16.04 I recommend Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver it's 100% better imo.
    I concur. I had wireless problems that seemed to get worse with every kernel update while using 16.04. Kubuntu 18.04 has been rock solid for me.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Not in my experience, maybe in a few months.