Distro
    Ubuntu Kylin 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 'fatal' during today's update on 16.04 LTS

In the synaptic package manager it states for that kernel:
    This package provides the architecture dependant parts for kernel
    version locked tools for cloud tools for version 4.4.0-81 on
    64 bit x86.
    You probably want to install linux-cloud-tools-4.4.0-81-<flavour>

What would you do as regards the reinstallation / deletion?

Alan

Beans
    Distro

The output is:
    initrd.img-4.4.0-81-generic

Alan

Beans
    Distro

​That output would suggest that you are right, wouldnt it?

Beans
    Distro

If so should I find that using the SPM and delete it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-4.4.0-81-generic
    then double check the running kernel (which kernel is currently in use)
    Code:
    uname -r
    if from some reason it shows the 4.4.0-81-generic kernel then I suggest reboot and choose another kernel at the boot menu.
    (If the boot menu does not show you may need to press the shift or ESC key to invoke it.
    You do this when the first machine BIOS screen goes blank, might require a few quick taps since sometimes a single tap can miss it)

Then if in another kernel
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-4.4.0-81-generic
    that should clear the issue.

Even though the kernel is not actually installed, the --reinstall flag should allow it to bypass the kinky issue that might happen because of the errant initrd.img file.

Post back if anything seems off.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

I followed all the instructions, and after the purge step I did the uname -r and the result was the current kernel, 4.4.0-127-generic.

After all that, when I reboot without intervention of going through recovery mode, I end up with the system hanging again!

Alan
    Last edited by harfin; May 22nd, 2018 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Another day and same status as regards my system.

I boot up and all proceeds as normal until the home screen. The mouse pointer becomes a X and I am left with the few choices from the right mouse click menu. The only one that is of any material use is the item "Open Terminal", as that enables me to enter "shutdown" and thus turn off the laptop which enables me to close down properly.

So I then boot up and click "esc" to enter the Ubuntu advanced mode, and with that I can select to boot using one of the last three kernels in "recovery mode" (it matters not which kernel I choose as regards the outcome). Once the system has done it's thing I can then select "resume normal boot" and I am then returned to a standard logged in home screen which enables me to operate in a normal fashion. When I subsequently close down, I am initially returned to the pre-successful boot up black screen with white text which whizzes through a screen or two of text, before the laptop turns off.

I feel sure the issue that causes this problem is connected to the reports I had earlier regarding "Ubuntu has experienced an internal error" and which lists the fault details as

/usr/lib/x86_64-gnu/unity/compiz-config-profile-setter.

In a subsequent boot, the details for an "Ubuntu internal error" became just :-
    /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu/unity/compiz

Is this something that I have to await an update from Ubuntu to correct this "internal error"?

Alan A Hart
    Last edited by harfin; May 23rd, 2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: modified error details observed on 23 May 2018

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay, so basically let's first assume you've checked that updates are running as they should
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    (I will assume that you've run these, or some form of updates either software updater or apt/apt-get.
    But just in case... run the commands to double check. It's always best to have a fully-functional updater, then not to have a fully-funtional updater)

There have been some issues with compiz
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2387576
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2387028
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2386528

Does any of that give you insight as to the issue?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

I use the auto updater just to notify me of all updates / upgrades and then use the commands as is appropriate in the terminal e.g. sudo apt upgrade, sudo apt update, sudo apt autoremove. So far I have not used sudo apt full-upgrade; should I be using that?

The reason that I do this is due to an issue a while back, where the boot area reserved for those who have encrypted hard drives runs out of space periodically, so I only have 2 or at most 3 earlier kernels in that space)

The first thread you mentioned seems to mirror the issue I have, inability not to see my screen's toolbar (and it's icons). The other threads seem to be full of what I assume is very technical jargon which is are way outside of my level of competence. The threads refer to "unity" and it's use, can you give me a wee bit more about that? How do I find out what I using ?

This morning it has taken ages to get back to any semblance of normality on the laptop. I finally went back to recovery mode using kernel 124 and thence to update grub bootloader and then resume before I got the desktop / toolbar / icons back.

I will try the steps in the first of the 3 threads you referred me to, when I have finished the tasks I need to do now. I will post back the result.

Alan

Beans
    Distro

Well sad to say, when trying the steps in the 1st thread you gave me, the 1st change did not complete (Code: sudo rm -fr ~/.cache/compizconfig-1 then sudo rm -fr ~/.compiz) it showed a fault saying "no such file or directory exists'.

The hint "To cycle hit [Super key]+[P key]
    a few times to sight the icons etc" just opened a wee box with letter p's in it.

It seems that just one boot after the loss of screen icons etc all I may have needed to do was to press and hold down the Super Key to cycle to reveal them, as I tried out pressing and holding pressing the key before I shut down ( which I had booted using the recovery boot process) and the icons etc appeared.

So I then rebooted in my usual (pre-fault) manner
    and after the boot process had run through it needed no intervention from me to display my normal desktop screen (with icons/ Dash) etc.

I will now repeat that to make sure it was not a one off fluke, and edit this post to confirm success.

Delighted to be able to say, that the laptop's normal booting process is fixed! Works (again) like a charm.

Deadflowr - you are very much alive!

Alan
    Last edited by harfin; May 24th, 2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Eureka! All now OK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast