Thread: Using video capture from Windows box to Linux for gaming?

Beans
    Hidden!

Using video capture from Windows box to Linux for gaming?

Hey,
    This just occured to me, and I wondered if it's a workable idea...
    I have two PC's, both the same spec, currently one runs Linux, the other windows, for those few games that I can't run under native or wine. However, while I could just use a KVM switch (which I currently do anyway) would it be possible to install a capture card in the linux PC, capture the output from the win PC to a window on the linux PC to get the 'feel' of playing a game on the linux pc (obviously the keyboard/mouse would still be via kvm or a usb switcher)
    Silly idea I know but is it workable?
    I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile. Your (insert censored word here) will be laminated!
    Registered Linux user #155941

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Using video capture from Windows box to Linux for gaming?

If it were possible, you wouldn't get the "feel of Linux", but a stream of electrons from Windows.

Besides that, by the process of capture and processing for however you planned to render it on your Linux monitor, you'd be adding enough latency to drive a truck through -- possibly rendering the game unplayable.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Using video capture from Windows box to Linux for gaming?

As my KVM switch broke, I ended up trying a different approach anyway (had to as can't afford a new kvm atm) installed parsec server on the windows pc, and parsec client on this linux box. Windows pc is now headless and sits in a corner and is used soley for playing games on that won't work under wine. No appreciable input lag over a lan connection, even on FPS games (granted...it's a gigabyte ethernet)

Yes, I'm aware a few of the games in my steam library are available on Linux too, I just haven't uninstalled them from the windows PC yet
    I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile. Your (insert censored word here) will be laminated!
    Registered Linux user #155941