Thread: Whats happening with wine?

Beans

Whats happening with wine?

I installed wine 3.0 on ubuntu 18.04 and when i log back in to ubuntu the config doesn't show up.

Beans

Re: Whats happening with wine?

Because all .desktop files associated with wine are missing .https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1576326

You can start wine config by typing in the terminal.

Code:
    winecfg
    For right clicking to run an .exe file, you need wine.desktop for wine program loader to show up as an option in the "open with menu". wine.desktop still exists but is deliberately put in a "wrong" location, to restore it
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine-stable/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications/
    I don't know the full story, but these changes apparently have something to do with some security considerations in Debian and trickle down to Ubuntu.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 15th, 2018 at 04:18 AM.

Beans

Winecfg worked but the last command didn't do anything no problem i was thinking i did something wrong i can access it from the command when i need to.

Thank you

Beans

Personally i use this version of wine-stable, it includes all the expected & useful .desktop files
    https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+arch...u/wine-testing

(the next version of nautilus is dropping support for .desktop and binary files altogether, nemo here..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Because all .desktop files associated with wine are missing .https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1576326

You can start wine config by typing in the terminal.

Code:
    winecfg
    For right clicking to run an .exe file, you need wine.desktop for wine program loader to show up as an option in the "open with menu". wine.desktop still exists but is deliberately put in a "wrong" location, to restore it
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine-stable/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications/
    I don't know the full story, but these changes apparently have something to do with some security considerations in Debian and trickle down to Ubuntu.
    Fantastic MB, thanks a million. I haven't worked it out yet but am very glad to have the problem explained. I should've found these posts earlier I guess--thanks for your diligence, time and attention.
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans

Do the Ubuntu devs understand that for new users they've essentially broken wine with that change, and making such a change without a non-complicated (read graphical) workaround, even if temporary, would frustrate the hell out of a new users? A good learning experience perhaps, but for someone moving from windows, being told there's easy ways to run windows programs; a big turn off. I have some experience and it was frustrating, wine is frustrating enough as is, or as was.
    What I'm dealin' with:
    HP Pavilion G6-1D60US, dual booted: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, & Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 640 gig HDD, 4 gig RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Devs almost never come to the forum, you will have to contact them through other means if you want them to answer your question.

Beans

I can use Wine via the Terminnal

I tried your fix and it is still not working, unsure what else to try at this point running latest LTS 18.04 fully updated.

updates and upgrade and autocleanup been completed also.

If you have any other tips to get this showing would be awesome

Beans

oh could be that I am using the staging branch for Cemu