Thread: what are cookies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what are cookies

Hi, what in the actual world is a damn cookie? And what can you do with them? Like can I log in with some program into the website if I know the cookies?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: what are cookies

Here is some information for you to view: https://www.howtogeek.com/119458/htg...rowser-cookie/
    Cookies are small pieces of information websites store on your computer. Cookies only contain bits of text, not anything else. The text can be a user ID, session ID, or any other text
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The most common use of cookies are called "session cookies." They let web developers track people across multiple pages of a web site. HTTP is what's known as a "stateless" protocol. Each request is unique and unrelated to any prior request. So to handle tasks like authentication, developers place a cookie in the browser that can be consulted as the person goes from page to page. Without this feature, you would need to log in every time you looked at another page on sites like this one. Session cookies carry an expiration date (four hours for sites I build) and will be deleted when the browser is closed.

There is another class of cookie that persists. These are the kind used in advertising and often operate across sites. For instance, when I visit the Washington Post site, I'll see ads for products on Amazon that I've looked at recently because my browser has a cookie denoting that fact. In Firefox, you can look in Edit > Preferences > Privacy and press the "Manage Data" button in the cookie section to see what cookies have been stored on your browser. You can delete them if you wish.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Thats perfect thank you so much!

Beans
    Distro

Cookies

Hi, how in the world can you see the content of a cookie? Like all I see are letters and numbers... is there a way to actually see what it is written? If not would it be possible to relog into the same domain with the cookie I have, and if so how?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Cookies

Depending on what browser you are using you will find a number of cookie inspectors as extensions.
    For example in Chromium Browser I use Cookie Inspector.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cookies

oh ok makes sense. thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Duplicate threads merged.