Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to run a script after login (new version of startup applications will not)

Beans

How to run a script after login (new version of startup applications will not)

I' m trying to start the Pulseaudio Equalizer automatically when my multimedia server is logged into. (Bionic Beaver 18.04) The new version of the "Startup Applications" app only lets you start apps that are officially installed apps. No obvious way to make it run a script.

Beans

Re: How to run a script after login (new version of startup applications will not)

In gnome shell you have to go through the exercise of writing a .desktop file for the script, put it in .local/share/applications in order for tweak tool or whatever to detect it. It seems the "logic" is along the line of making you put an empty document in template in order for "create new document" to show up in nautilus's context menu. It seems much work in gnome development goes into making it more complicated and frustrating to do what used to be simple tasks.

Beans

Re: How to run a script after login (new version of startup applications will not)

Is there a version of 18.04 that does not require this?This is so not going to happen.Developers of Ubuntu, please take note. The machine this concerns is a multimedia server that has HDMI input to a 5 channel mixer that needs equalization to sound good. Without some way to easily run a script to start the EQ this version of Ubuntu is no longer suitable to be the O/S of this server. (Running a script is required to start Pulseaudio Equalizer). This used to work fine. (16.04) and now it doesn't (18.04). I have no choice but to install a different O/S that does easily let me do what I need. Thanks for all your efforts, it's really much appreciated. But this ability change makes this unusable for me.
    Last edited by pksings2; May 9th, 2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: decided not to continue using Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

I am not a Gnome user and understand that it is frustrating but yes, you could take another flavor where it is indeed easy to add startup applications the way you remember.

Although I think it is possible even in Gnome either using the Tweak Tool, I hope still, or by starting gnome-session-properties from terminal or with Alt + F2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pksings2 View Post
    Is there a version of 18.04 that does not require this?.
    Startup Applications works in the old way in the unity session (install ubuntu-unity-desktop, make lightdm the default, install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics if you use a touch pad, reboot, that's it) I am using unity here. Use the unity maintainer ppa for best results

But writing a .desktop file is not hard, just annoying (copy template from a ,desktop file in /usr/share/applications, change the Exec= line to the path to your script, change the Name= line etc)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 9th, 2018 at 05:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovnegro2 View Post

Although I think it is possible even in Gnome either using the Tweak Tool.

Yes, if you make a .desktop file for the script and put it in ~/.local/share/applications, tweak tool only allows startup applications with a .desktop file (aka launcher)

I have dualbooted with Fedora for a few years and played with 17.10 so I have some experience with gnome shell, it seems that each new release is getting more weird and more anti-users, they keep removing useful features and adding useless ones as if just to maximize user frustration intentionally,performance is always crappy, I am done with it. /end of rant
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 9th, 2018 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

In Ubuntu 18.04, I have a startup script that runs on log in but I have the script in ~/bin and the desktop file in ~/.config/autostart. That works fine for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    In Ubuntu 18.04, I have a startup script that runs on log in but I have the script in ~/bin and the desktop file in ~/.config/autostart. That works fine for me.
    Script can be anywhere. Point is you need to make a .desktop file. I put my scripts in ~/bin too but that is optional.

Beans

And my way, I don't need tweak tool to make it work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    And my way, I don't need tweak tool to make it work.
    Sure but still you need a .desktop file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast