Thread: I have a question

Beans

I have a question

Hi, does I need antivirus on Ubuntu 11.10 ?

i read some forum discussion about antivirus on Ubuntu, if it is necessary or not.
    this topic was mainly from 2008 and i would like to know if today something's changed or not ?
    basically do i need to install an Antivirus on my Ubuntu 11.10 OS ?
    if yes, which one ? is there a review on antivirus on ubuntu ? something like topten review do sometimes.

thanks

Beans

Re: I have a question

11.10 has reached end of life and no longer supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello huong7596 and welcome to the forum! please use descriptive titles when you create your threads.

Thanks

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by huong7596 View Post
    i read some forum discussion about antivirus on Ubuntu, if it is necessary or not.
    this topic was mainly from 2008 and i would like to know if today something's changed or not ?
    basically do i need to install an Antivirus on my Ubuntu 11.10 OS ?
    I would imagine whatever was said in 2008 about antivirus is still true today. Very few here have an Antivirus application installed. If it was necessity them I'm sure a suitable application would be in the default Ubuntu installation.

Are you really using Ubuntu 11.10? it's extremely out of date and hasn't been supported since May 2013. You won't be able to install any new software of use an up-to-date version of Firefox, Chromium or Thunderbird so you won't benefit from all the security fixes added to those applications and many others over the years..

Please take a look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases. Today, you should only be using Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 17.10 or 18.04. No other version is supported. If you computer can't run Ubuntu and you need a lighter distribution then try Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I would recommend that you start with the 18.04 release of Ubuntu or whatever flavour works best for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post

Are you really using Ubuntu 11.10? it's extremely out of date and hasn't been supported since May 2013....
    If that is the case - worrying about antivirus applications is pointless - or perhaps laughable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Don't let the obsolete version of Ubuntu worry you, people. This is yet another copy-paste nonsense - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1879181

OP dealt with and thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.