Thread: Will lubuntu 18.04 have PPC support?

Beans

Will lubuntu 18.04 have PPC support?

I have an old Power Mac G4 running Lubuntu 16.04 LTS, which I think works much better with modern applications than Mac OS does. Now that 18.04 is released, I would like to upgrade my system to it, but there is no PPC download on the website or release server. I also tried doing a release-upgrade, but it errors out saying some packages are not available for PowerPC yet. Will PPC support be added in a later update to 18.04, or will my Mac be stuck on 16.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Will lubuntu 18.04 have PPC support?

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a more appropriate fit.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Will lubuntu 18.04 have PPC support?

Quote Originally Posted by jackmacwindows View Post
    I have an old Power Mac G4 running Lubuntu 16.04 LTS, which I think works much better with modern applications than Mac OS does. Now that 18.04 is released, I would like to upgrade my system to it, but there is no PPC download on the website or release server. I also tried doing a release-upgrade, but it errors out saying some packages are not available for PowerPC yet. Will PPC support be added in a later update to 18.04, or will my Mac be stuck on 16.04?
    Lubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) PowerPC Daily Build ISOs to No Longer Be Produced is an article that gives some information regarding the non-availability of PPC downloads.

I seem to remember that there were too few testers with PPC hardware and no-one wanted to release an ISO that hadn't been properly tested. It looks like your installation is supported until April 2019 then you will need to use different hardware if you want to continue running Lubuntu.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; May 6th, 2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Improved grammar