Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCISS kernel mod missing from US18.04LTS rendering server unbootable after upgrade

Beans

Unhappy CCISS kernel mod missing from US18.04LTS rendering server unbootable after upgrade

I have a HP server which has a P800 SCSI controller. The CCISS kernel module is required to run the server.

On a server I have running 16.04 LTS, the module lives in /lib/modules/4.4.0-103-generic/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.ko and is by default part of the initrd. After upgrading a server that was also running 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS (using do-release-upgrade -d) the system has been rendered unbootable since grub doesn't have all modules loaded to mount the rootfs.

Is the module in some other package which needs to be installed?

Is Canonical aware of this? (as in, was this a conscious decision?) If so, what's the reasoning behind removing the module? If removing the module was intended, why is the package "cciss-vol-status" still offered?

This server is an Amanda backup server, so this is more than a mere annoyance - if I can't find a solution I'll have to revert it to 16.04 LTS - but it also rules out Ubuntu on half my network. The reason however for the requirement of upgrade is that Amanda had started to exhibit regression errors which weren't being fixed in 16.04 LTS.

Anyone with knowledge, please advise.

Beans

Re: CCISS kernel mod missing from US18.04LTS rendering server unbootable after upgrad

Fwiw:

server > uname -a && cat /etc/issue
    linux thjalfi 4.15.0-20-generic #21-ubuntu smp tue apr 24 06:16:15 utc 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 gnu/linux
    ubuntu 18.04 lts \n \l

server > apt-file find cciss.ko
    server >

Beans

Re: CCISS kernel mod missing from US18.04LTS rendering server unbootable after upgrad

And a search with apt-file on 16.04 LTS shows that 16.04 LTS has the CCISS module in 4.13.0-39.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't run on bare-metal but I figured I can run the same commands on my 16.04 and 18.04 VMs and let you see the results I get. (which are the same)

Ubuntu Server 16.04.4 LTS

Show running kernel version (which is current)
    Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux srv-ubuntu1604 4.4.0-122-generic #146-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 23 15:34:04 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Show release name/version/codename
    Code:
    # lsb_release -a
    Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
    Codename:       xenial
    Install apt-file which is not installed by default
    Code:
    # apt-get install apt-file
    Update the apt-file cache
    Code:
    # apt-file update
    Search for the cciss.ko file specific to the currently-running kernel
    Code:
    # apt-file find cciss.ko | grep 4.4.0-122
    linux-image-4.4.0-122-lowlatency: /lib/modules/4.4.0-122-lowlatency/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.ko
    linux-image-extra-4.4.0-122-generic: /lib/modules/4.4.0-122-generic/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.ko
    Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS

NOTE: I used the "alternative" ISO image to install the server, not the "live" variation.

Show running kernel version (which is current)
    Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux srv-ubuntu1804 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Show release name/version/codename
    Code:
    # lsb_release -a
    Description:    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Codename:       bionic
    Install apt-file which is not installed by default
    Code:
    # apt-get install apt-file
    Update the apt-file cache
    Code:
    # apt-file update
    Search for the cciss.ko file specific to the currently-running kernel
    Code:
    # apt-file find cciss.ko | grep 4.15.0-20
    >> Nothing found <<

Search for the cciss.ko file for any kernel.
    Code:
    # apt-file find cciss.ko
    >> Nothing found <<

Beans

Yes, that's exactly what I found.

*however*

On my NON-P800 (just normal SATA) personal HP server, I have 18.04 running as well. On that server I tried:

admin@thjalfi:~$ man cciss <---- man page IS found
    admin@thjalfi:~$ modprobe cciss
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'hpsa': Operation not permitted
    admin@thjalfi:~$ sudo modprobe cciss
    admin@thjalfi:~$ sudo lsmod | egrep "(hpsa|cciss)"
    [sudo] password for admin:
    hpsa 98304 0
    scsi_transport_sas 40960 1 hpsa
    So they alias the cciss to hpsa - but the hpsa doesn't support the P800 and P400...

I'm getting close to yelling and screaming because I really do not want to have to re-invent my backup server 20 days before vacation with a different OS...

Beans

According to the Kernel list ( https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9947333/ ) CCISS was removed in favor of HPSA. Support for "SOME" boards was added, including (alledgedly)
    > + Smart Array P400
    > + Smart Array P400i
    > + Smart Array P600
    > + Smart Array P700m
    > + Smart Array P800

Apparently this is a Linus-****up, not a Canonical one since the alledgedly supported boards don't work "as advertised".

So these machines are at EOL where Linux is concerned (unless I find a magic way to fix this) - I thought it would be a cold
    day in Hell when I found a machine that had a longer life with Windows than with Linux. And this is the second machine I find
    that Linu[sx] has "given up on". I guess that explains the sleet, hail, snow and rain outside my window.

Beans

Ok, I think an unlikely source has maybe come up with a solution.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ss-4175617797/

Apparently the hpsa driver renames the devices. Oh yay. And no, using the UUID doesn't work (that is what was failing at the beginning).

Now I'm torn between finding a solution to this problem ( cciss vs. hpsa ) or this problem ( https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2391175 - fixing Amanda and staying at 16.04 )

Beans

As an afterthought - the linuxquestions "solution" really isn't, since I can't even see any devices when booting from a USB stick using 18.04 LTS. The USB stick drops into GRUB/initramfs as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DerPC View Post
    As an afterthought - the linuxquestions "solution" really isn't, since I can't even see any devices when booting from a USB stick using 18.04 LTS. The USB stick drops into GRUB/initramfs as well.
    Same problem here, HP Proliant ML350 G5, controller P400, last working kernel from ubuntu ppa kernel and kernel.org (build by myself) is 4.13.16, from kernel >= 4.14.1 don't boot, I have opened also a bug on bugzilla.kernel, and also read of someone opening a bug on launchpad

kernel issue

Beans

Yes and a pretty lame one at that. One would have expected a more professional approach from the kernel team than just "meh, it probably works".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast