Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Docment Viewer djvu file type not supported

Beans

Re: Docment Viewer djvu file type not supported

Following comment 3 from this link, I edited /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/evince/4/backends/djvudocument.evince-backend to add image/vnd.djvu to the end and now evince opens djvu.

But I still have no idea why the djvu files are not detected correctly as image/vnd.djvu+multipage. The link doesn't above seems to address this but not quite, there is no djvulibre-mime.xml or similar in my system. So I am not marking this as solved just now. Maybe someone can find a solution for the system not detecting the correct meme type for these files.

There is still no preview thumbnails for djvu files, may be related.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 6th, 2018 at 09:49 AM.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This morning I managed to open your book by selecting "Open with Document Viewer" when prompted as the download starts.

Screenshot from 2018-05-06 09-59-18.jpg

I then tried the download again but saved the file to my PC. evince successfully opened it. The file type is now shown as "DjVu document (image/vnd.djvu+multipage)" and the correct thumbnail is being displayed in nautilus.

So the only thing that I've done differently today is to first open the file directly from the web rather than from my PC. Does that help?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post

So the only thing that I've done differently today is to first open the file directly from the web rather than from my PC. Does that help?
    Same, still same file type. .

Beans

I think I have narrowed it down. I did a fresh install and it was working, the correct type (image/vnd.djvu+multipage) was detected and evince opened these files with no issue. But it stopped working and the file type got changed to image/vnd.djvu after installing these packages from repo

autoconf (2.69-11)
    automake (1:1.15.1-3ubuntu2)
    autotools-dev (20180224.1)
    bison (2:3.0.4.dfsg-1build1)
    cmake (3.10.2-1ubuntu2)
    cmake-curses-gui (3.10.2-1ubuntu2)
    cmake-data (3.10.2-1ubuntu2)
    libbison-dev (2:3.0.4.dfsg-1build1)
    libcurl4 (7.58.0-2ubuntu3)
    libjsoncpp1 (1.7.4-3)
    librhash0 (1.3.6-2)
    libsigsegv2 (2.12-1)
    libuv1 (1.18.0-3)
    m4 (1.4.18-1)
    swig (3.0.12-1)
    swig3.0 (3.0.12-1)
    However, removing these packages one by one does not restore the default behaviour so some configurations appear to have been changed irreversibly.

Anyone has an idea which package might be the culprit? Don't feel like reinstalling again to find out.

Beans

Three times it is a charm. I reinstalled again and installed the programs above one by one. couldn't reproduce the error. I have been testing this installation for more than a week, installing and removing many things. My .djvu files still keep the correct mime type image/vnd.djvu+multipage and evince opens them with no problem. I still have no idea what might have caused the change of mime type for the two previous runs while the third time it all worked.. Maybe some software was updated in the official channel between my reinstallations so running apt upgrade after fresh install solved it?

Anyway I will mark this thread as solved even though the mystery remains.

Beans

After I had uninstalled djvulibre, Evince opened djvu files.

Beans

After working for a while, then after some updates, installing something etc etc then out of the blue it happens again all the .djvu files are identified as "image/vnd.djvu" instead of the correct "image/vnd.djvu+multipage"

After I had uninstalled djvulibre, Evince opened djvu files.
    Yes some people reported that uninstalling djvulibre-desktop solves their problems, but I have never had djvulibre-desktop installed, and libdjvulibre is a dependency for evince (removing it would remove evince itself)

Beans

The issue is why the memetype of these .djvu files are not identified properly by the OS. This has nothing to do with evince in and of itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12