Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [18.04] Unity vs Gnome 3 - Vertical space

Beans

[18.04] Unity vs Gnome 3 - Vertical space

Hello all,

the goal here is not to rekindle the old debate Unity vs Other D.E., but to speak of something I would not like to loose leaving Unity: vertical space.

The debate Unity vs Others was very subjective, the haters having no objective fact on the matter. Here is an objective fact in favour of Unity, with some images it's more clear:

Unity

Gnome

Side by side (red zone is the "lost" area with Gnome)

That is only an example with Firefox, but Unity does that for (almost) every application.

The factual issue
    So, since a few years ago, someone decided screen MUST have the ratio 16/9, and since everyone followed that, "vertical space" became a scarce resource.
    To fight that, Unity did a nice thing: put the application menu in the title bar of the application, and also when the application is maximised, merge the title bar with the top panel.

By combining these two tricks, you save "two bars" and as can be seen in the illustration, with firefox as example, the benefit is 57 pixels.
    That represents more than 5% of space in HD (1920x1080) and around 7.5% on my small 14" at work with its 1366x768 definition.

So using Gnome 3-as is would be a big regression screen-wise.

The research so far
    With the help of fellow French Ubunteros (see here: https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=2025479), we have established that Unity is unique as a D.E. for this maximised use of vertical space.

Other D.E. can more or less approach that, but they need some add-ons/extensions.

For Gnome there is Unite that works with title bars... but does nothing with menus. That is half the solution then. Instead of "losing" 2 bars, you loose only 1!

There is also a Gnome Extension: Global App Menu that looks to do something on menus, but it is clearly marked "experimental" and there is a ticket on its GitHub about the work possibly be discontinued.

From what I have read, it is indeed not an easy task to do what Unity started. Indeed, title bars are exposed to the D.E. for several reasons: close/minimise/maximise buttons, grab, etc... Then D.E. extensions can easily manipulate those title bars, like merging it to top panel when relevant.
    But the menu bar belongs to the application space and is generally handled by the U.I. toolkit (GTK for Gnome). Hence, without the cooperation of the application itself or a heavy hack on the toolkit, moving the app menu out is a hard task!

Another alternative that was flagged is Ubuntu Mate with Mutiny and some other extensions. Same again, Gnome 2 that is still used for Mate cannot by itself do the job. The standard layout is even worse in Mate since on top of all those bars clutter, you get an additional horizontal bar with the task bar.

We have also established that menus are bad... and I agree with that, Unity eliminated them system wide, replacing them with icons (like on your phone!), recent lists, and natural search.

But still, menus is the way 98% of applications still work, and for the transition we are still used to them.
    Firefox understanding that tried to remove the menu, and that was also for the sake of saving "vertical space". So that might not have been a good example to illustrate this issue with firefox that already made steps in the right direction, independently of the D.E.
    So, bear in mind again the illustration was only an example, and I am not searching a firefox-only solution, but a system-wide one!

Your advise?

So the question is, what is your advise, to continue enjoying the maximum possible "vertical space" and avoid cluttered useless horizontal bars?

- 18.04 with Unity?
    - 18.04 Gnome 3 + extensions? (which ones?)
    - 18.04 Mate + extensions?
    - Other D.E. we don't know of and that would do the trick out of the box?

Thanks in advance to all!
    Last edited by alainb06; May 1st, 2018 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: [18.04] Unity vs Gnome 3 - Vertical space

The Unity session is available with 18.04. Ubuntu Budgie has a Unity based global menu applet available as well.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Hi Frogs Hair, and thanks.

Indeed, Unity is available, that is the first alternative I am quoting under my quest for advise!

As for "Global app menu", sorry for the confusion. This extension does NOT add a "Global Menu" à la W$, which I profoundly dislike!
    I found it so much better having recents apps/dock, as it is with Unity or Gnome 3 "activities".

What "Global app menu" does is instead gets the menu bar out of any application and displays it in the title bar of that application or instead in the top panel when the application is maximised. That is precisely the feature I am looking to find... but possibly with an extension that is not "experimental/discontinued"!

Sorry again for the confusion, I didn't pick that confusing extenstion name!

As for Budgie, apart precisely from that awful "Global Menu" (which is something I absolutely don't want at all!) it look the nicest of all "supported" flavours.

Beans

Vertical space is also a pet peeve of mine and not liking Unity, I go to great lengths to change the individual apps.

Removing the title bar completely is the only system wide setting I have found.

I run gnome (not ubuntu gnome, but just gnome) which comes with a top and bottom panel and have consolidated that to one top panel and small in size (24 pix).

No toolbars in apps when I can. FireFox toolbar has been change to a single icon and moved to the address bar. Terminal toolbar has been removed and access now by right click. The list goes on and on.

Of course this is not an issue on my desktop, its got a ton of space. Just my laptop that I can't stand the wasted space.

Beans

Thanks Cruzer, I see I'm not alone seeking at using efficiently that scarce "vertical space"!

The positive side of Unity is that it does globally what you have to do application by application, so I'd rather stick with a global solution as long as possible!

Beans
    Distro

As for "Global app menu", sorry for the confusion. This extension does NOT add a "Global Menu" à la W$, which I profoundly dislike!
    I found it so much better having recents apps/dock, as it is with Unity or Gnome 3 "activities".
    This is not an extension in Budgie, but a Unity based panel applet with extended or compact mode for smaller monitors. I use compact mode on a laptop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; May 1st, 2018 at 03:48 PM.

Beans

Oh... that looks interesting and promising, Frogs Hair!

The left-topmost button is replaced by a search/recent apps widget as in Unity/Gnome 3-activities, or does it stays a "System wide Menu" as in Gnome 2/W$

Apparently (seen from your screenshot) it changes the orientation of the application menu that becomes vertical, and displayed when clicked only, instead of being an horizontal menu/always visible. Confusing, but I guess still usable.

Could you please:
    - do a screenshot with the browser windows "maximised", as in my screenshots, so that I see what is does
    - give the exact name of the extension, so that I add it when I get a try at Budgie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This is not an extension in Budgie, but a Unity based panel applet with extended or compact mode for smaller monitors. I use compact mode on a laptop.
    That is rather nice and compact. I wonder if there is a gnome extension that would do the same thing.

Beans
    Distro

Apparently (seen from your screenshot) it changes the orientation of the application menu that becomes vertical, and displayed when clicked only, instead of being an horizontal menu/always visible. Confusing, but I guess still usable.
    As I wrote it can be extended as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

My suggestions:

18.04 with unity but wait a month or two. It is running great here. Much smoother than gnome shell. It is very easy to switch. But it would help the maintainers and devs if there are more users. You can follow it here https://community.ubuntu.com/c/desktop/ubuntu-unity-dev

For now stick to 16.04
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 1st, 2018 at 07:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast