Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [18.04] Unity vs Gnome 3 - Vertical space

Beans

Re: [18.04] Unity vs Gnome 3 - Vertical space

Sure Kerry, I'll do that request.

But look here: https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...lication-menu/

The trouble, as I explained in the first post, is that it is a different order of magnitude to work with the Window Title and with the Application Menu bar.

The Window title is exposed to the D.E. (Desktop Environment) because the D.E. needs to be able to minimise, maximise, close, drag, etc... all application windows.
    So, doing an extension like Unite that plays with the Window Title is quite "easy" (as long as you have understood how this is exposed).

But when you want to work with menu, this is a very different story! Menu need not be exposed to the D.E. because it is the "internal business" for each application to design its own user interface and how users interacts with it. So drawing menu is generally functions provided by the toolkit you have used to code the application, which for Gnome applications is GTK (you have others like QT).
    Then, grabbing that menu inside the "private property" of the application requires the application cooperation and some hack on the toolkit. That is why, as you see with Gnome Global-AppMenu, you need to install unity-gtk-module to make it work. This is probably part of the "hack"...

Hence, the request to Unite to also support "menu" has a huge chance to be refused since it is a completely different level of involvement in the application territory. It had some chance of success when Canonical was pushing app developers to help, but I fear it will be less successful if the question is asked by a team developing an obscure extension!
    Last edited by alainb06; May 1st, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Beans

Instead of using a bunch of addons to hack gs to get unity features that work out of the box why not just use unity?

Upstream intends GS windows to have fat ugly bars, should respect that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Instead of using a bunch of addons to hack gs to get unity features that work out of the box why not just use unity?

Upstream intends GS windows to have fat ugly bars, should respect that.
    Indeed, that is my first choice and what I started to test!

Also this thread, and the one on the French forum sort of proves there is no serious alternative to this "vertical space" issue, because as you say, piling extensions on top of GS to make those "fat ugly bars" disappear does not look such a great idea.

Obviously, I also have a lot of respect for those who love the fat ugly bars, and like having to madly use the vertical scroll because they have only 50% of the vertical space to display useful application data! That's probably for them that they invented the mouse wheel...

My fear is that some day in the future the "community" will fall behind properly supporting Unity and that I'll have to make do with even fatter and uglier horizontal bars... let's hope it's just a fear.
    Last edited by alainb06; May 1st, 2018 at 10:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alainb06 View Post
    My fear is that some day in the future the "community" will fall behind properly supporting Unity and that I'll have to make do with even fatter and uglier horizontal bars... let's hope it's just a fear.
    I think there is a better chance for unity to continue being maintained (and there are talks about development and updates and I don't mean unity 8) if there are users. If Mate could go so far I can't see why unity can't . unity needs users.

Beans

Thanks Monkeybrain, having established that no other D.E. gives you, out of the box, as much "vertical space" as Unity does, you gave me another reason to continue with the first option I had in mind which is: 18.04 with Unity!

Beans

Good explanations... This is what user don't understand. A global menu can not be done without the toolkit support and the support of the developer of the applications. So, to really work, you need a big hack. In gnome shell an extension is a js code, where is not possible hack a toolkit or an specific application. So, one thing is create an extension to render a menu and another is hack a toolkit to export the menu. Gnome-Global-Menu is just the part of render the menu in the shell representation.

Beans

I absolutely agree - fighting the upstream philosophy seems like a sisyphean struggle.
    I was absolutely gutted when I saw the new default Gnome interface for Ubuntu.
    And it really surprises me that the outcry for the loss of vertical space is so small. To me it's a dealbreaker.
    Looks like I'll be joining the crowd sticking with Unity on 18.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by veedwood View Post
    Looks like I'll be joining the crowd sticking with Unity on 18.04.

I too will probably be doing this. I am so disappointed with the decision to go with GNOME solely for 18.04.

I would simply like to be able to right click on a dock icon and get a list of all the windows from that program without having to click 'All Windows'.

Global menu gone is a massive one for me.

+ the HUD...

I feel a little in limbo as I want to use the latest version of Ubuntu, but have to put all my faith in Unity remaining up to date, I am keeping a close eye on the Unity forum over on the ubuntu community.

I have looked into Ubuntu Mate, yes it has a HUD and global menus, but it's just not the same as 16.04! It just doesn't feel as polished. Ubuntu Budgie is really nice but no global menu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123