Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18.04 Corrupted login display after upgrade AMD MacBook Pro 2,1

Beans

Re: 18.04 Corrupted login display after upgrade AMD MacBook Pro 2,1

From a boot, move the mouse up a long way (like to the top of the screen) then bring it down slowly.
    When you see things change on your mangled screen the pointer is probably hovering over the first (maybe only) username. Now single click, type password and ENTER.
    If you want to try lightdm it's easy from the console :
    Code:
    sudo apt install lightdm
    I haven't tried this on my Mac yet so I can't tell you if it fixes the problem (assuming you, like me, have no problems with the desktop itself once you get into it). I'll try it myself over the weekend...
    Once you have lightdm instead of gdm, the username and password box is already selected when you boot so there's no mouse clicking needed, just password and ENTER.

EDIT : Lightdm works perfectly on my Mac.
    Last edited by djlegge; May 19th, 2018 at 09:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djlegge View Post
    From a boot, move the mouse up a long way (like to the top of the screen) then bring it down slowly.
    When you see things change on your mangled screen the pointer is probably hovering over the first (maybe only) username. Now single click, type password and ENTER.
    If you want to try lightdm it's easy from the console :
    Code:
    sudo apt install lightdm
    I haven't tried this on my Mac yet so I can't tell you if it fixes the problem (assuming you, like me, have no problems with the desktop itself once you get into it). I'll try it myself over the weekend...
    Once you have lightdm instead of gdm, the username and password box is already selected when you boot so there's no mouse clicking needed, just password and ENTER.

EDIT : Lightdm works perfectly on my Mac.
    Hmm, I did like you suggested and it states "lightdm is already the newest version (1.26.0-0ubuntu1)"
    Could it be I am using more than one login manager?
    Is there a way to check at all?
    I am going to try a "purge" and see if it does anything or breaks it more.
    *Edit: It made no difference whatsoever.
    So, I googled. I ran # ls /usr/bin/*session and got /usr/bin/dbus-run-session /usr/bin/gnome-session /usr/bin/gnome-session-custom-session
    I then ran # gnome-shell --version and got GNOME Shell 3.28.1

I tried #sudo apt purge gdm however, it said it wasn't found.
    I'm lost. I thought GDM was the Gnome login manager.
    The login screen is still corrupt and looks exactly the same before I removed lightdm so, I just have no idea.

*EDIT 2*
    Well, it was GDM3, not GDM so, I removed gdm3 with # sudo apt purge gdm3 then re-installed lightdm with # sudo apt install lightdm -y and it WORKS!!!!

djlegge you awesome, awesome person. Thank you!!

I also had to select Ubuntu Unity at the login screen because the default didn't work and Wayland is broken also but, everything now works.
    I can log in, all my prorams and documents are still there, it's awesome.

I can't thank you enough for your help, I have my laptop back wthout needing to blow everything away.

This issue is solved for me.

To recap, Ubuntu (Default) Desktop is broken, Wayland is also broken. Unity works fine, Remove gdm3 and install lightdm for the login manager.
    Boom! hehe. Very happy.
    Last edited by shades_aus; May 22nd, 2018 at 03:08 AM.

Beans

You're welcome, and thanks for the nice comments !
    For me, the installation of lightdm asked me which display manager I wanted to use but I guess you didn't get that far as lightdm was already installed (but not selected).
    Although gdm (and Wayland) are also broken for me, Ubuntu Default desktop does actually work (but I prefer Unity anyway).
    Glad you got it fixed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shades_aus View Post
    *EDIT 2*
    Well, it was GDM3, not GDM so, I removed gdm3 with # sudo apt purge gdm3 then re-installed lightdm with # sudo apt install lightdm -y and it WORKS!!!!
    Hi, just to confirm that this fix is not exclusive to Macs. I have used this method to fix my issues with an HP dv7 login screen too and it worked like a treat.

Many thanks,

Vind

Beans

So GDM3 doesn't work properly on boot up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12