View Poll Results: Bionic (18.04) Upgrade/Installation Experience

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - Worked Flawlessly.

8 12.70%
  • Worked - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

7 11.11%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

8 12.70%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 26.98%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

17 26.98%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

6 9.52%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

It's that time again, Bionic (18.04) was released April 26, 2018 Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Bionic Beaver.

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

Poll and thread for the previous release:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2375069
    Last edited by Irihapeti; April 29th, 2018 at 08:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Reposting, if you don't mind, what I posted in my own thread yesterday:

I did a regular install of Xubuntu 18.04 complete with backing up my files and reformatting my Linux partition on Friday. I had been on Xubuntu 16.04 before. (I've never, as far as I can remember, done an upgrade from one version of a Linux distro to the next one through the upgrade function, and based on what I've read about other people's experiences with that kind of thing, I have no plans to try it.)

I used the mini installation iso (since there wasn't a link to it on the mini installation community page yet, I worked out where it was based on where the mini installation isos for previous versions had been). What can I say, I kinda like text based user interfaces, and I like how you can select various selections of software for installation.

Whee! So far, everything works fine! No problems, no serious issues, and some of the new artwork (like Leonardo Cardozo Ferreira's "Peachy" wallpaper) is beautiful. One small drawback is that the theme I had used before - Gradient-Blue, from one of the outside artwork websites on the web - has some minor glitches now, so I switched to a different one. And, I don't like that the system load view applet for the taskbar no longer has a mouseover function showing more details. But neither of that is a big deal.

Great work, everyone!

(Sorry, I can't really tell you my pc's version name or brand name - I think it was put together from individual pieces by the small independent computer shop where I bought it. It's almost five years old, though.)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

A little hiccup here and there. Was pleasantly surprised at having dual monitor support from different graphical adapters out of the box \0/
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgraded to from 17.10 to 18.04. Noticed the memory usage and switched to Xubuntu. Xubuntu used less then one third of the memory and booted almost twice as fast. Besides the 3D acceleration in a Virtualbox VM did work in Xubuntu, while in Ubuntu it got stuck before it reached the Login screen. 3D acceleration did work in Ubuntu 16.04, so for some tasks I stayed with the Ubuntu 16.04 VM. So to conclude:
    Host OS: Xubuntu 18.04,
    VMs: Xubuntu 18.04 (email, office, etc.), Ubuntu 16.04 (banking, Paypal, etc.), Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (try out Apps), Windows XP (Music with WOW and True Bass effects).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Using the same installation since beta 1 without issue.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have been running 18.04 from the beginning of development and it has been a pretty smooth six months, this is the first time that my newer AMD graphics card has worked out of the box without issues and a first for my cursor stopped jumping all over the place deleting and replacing whole blocks of text while I am typing.

Beans

The unity session is great, smooth and fast and problem free. On the gnome side it is a bit slugguish (jerky graphic and kind of clunky workflow) and "tab to click" for touchpad kind of works sporadically, sometimes have to tab really hard, almost make a dent on the labtop (no such problem on the unity side, seems like lininput has some issues) But haven't been on gnome shell too much, will keep it for a while just for testing and probably delete it in the future.

I didn't plan to install 18.04 on one of my main laptops so soon, but apparently Bionic has murdered Xenial on this machine.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 30th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    Upgraded to from 17.10 to 18.04. Noticed the memory usage and switched to Xubuntu. Xubuntu used less then one third of the memory and booted almost twice as fast. Besides the 3D acceleration in a Virtualbox VM did work in Xubuntu, while in Ubuntu it got stuck before it reached the Login screen. 3D acceleration did work in Ubuntu 16.04, so for some tasks I stayed with the Ubuntu 16.04 VM. So to conclude:
    Host OS: Xubuntu 18.04,
    VMs: Xubuntu 18.04 (email, office, etc.), Ubuntu 16.04 (banking, Paypal, etc.), Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (try out Apps), Windows XP (Music with WOW and True Bass effects).
    You may be hit by this https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/...is-being-fixed
    They have fixed it upstream but it will probably take a while for it to be released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For now, my only complain is that Bionic deleted my old wallpaper sets, that I was collecting since 16.04

Not the end of the wold, but I'm curious about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Upgrade was flawless, the only thing I was peeved about was Ubuntu-MATE decided it wanted it's Ubuntu-Mate-welcome & Software Boutique to be snap packages instead of the regular packages, so I had to install them via the snap installer. Oh well, nothing to snap over.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast