View Poll Results: Bionic (18.04) Upgrade/Installation Experience

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - Worked Flawlessly.

8 12.70%
  • Worked - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

7 11.11%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

8 12.70%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 26.98%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

17 26.98%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

6 9.52%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Ubuntu MATE (upgrade from 17.10) and everything seems to work so far.

btw: I can't select Bionic Beaver as distro for my profile yet.
    Last edited by Erik1984; May 4th, 2018 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Share with us your Bionic Beaver (18.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Just installed Xubuntu bionic on a new laptop with SSD for the OS and a HDD for swap and /home; Wow! its fast on an SSD!

I was not sure about having swap on an SSD so decided to create a swap partition even though it's not needed in 18.04; was that a wise thing to do or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Everything I've used so far has worked a treat; I can't find any problems at all, though I expect I will do as time rolls on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have upgraded several machines from xubuntu 17.10 to 18.04 with no problems encountered. However, my main xubuntu development system, which I did a clean install on did have some glitches.

1. Running Apache,MySQL, PHP and PHPMyadmin. MySQL password change took some time tosort out.

2. Loss of gnome-search-tool was a problem until I found the Mate version.

3. gksu is no longer available so needed to move to pkexec. However, some apps do not have policy files e.g. geany.

4. Luckybackup root version failed for use of missing su like command.
    Last edited by makitso; May 5th, 2018 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop and desktop, it works perfectly! I really needed the 4.15 kernel for the laptop to be able to run Linux. I am very happy with the new LTS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my desktop and now can't get my multifunction scanner(MFC 9490CN Brother) to work(worked with 16.04). Also I am having difficulty adding a service to the list of services that start automatically with boot
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    decided to create a swap partition even though it's not needed in 18.04; was that a wise thing to do or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Everything I've used so far has worked a treat; I can't find any problems at all, though I expect I will do as time rolls on
    ajgreeny I have both also a swap partition and a swap file, and nothing to report bad yet. (I need the swap partition for a multi boot setup and have been using it that way for several months now.)
    Cheers
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by marciomj View Post
    For now, my only complain is that Bionic deleted my old wallpaper sets, that I was collecting since 16.04

Not the end of the wold, but I'm curious about this.
    So, looks like I was counting the chicken before they hatch.

After the upgrade to 18.04, computer refuses to shut down properly. I need to press power button to switch off the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Installed 18.04 from scratch without any problems what so ever it just works out of the box - I installed it on an HP Pavillion Elite with 16 GB RAM and quad-core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz. The boot could have been faster but other than that it just works.

Beans

I tested out the live version and installed. When I was about to delete a partition I got logged out. Logged back in an everything was fine.

Drivers for common AC WIFI chips are still not supported out of the box. Mine came out 3 years ago. So I had to install a RTL8814AU driver manually by using usb tether from my Android phone were I learned the bug that drops your tether connection every minute still wasn't fixed.

Outside of that no issues so far.

Edit: I use English as a language for the OS and Belgian as the keyboard layout. The date on my screen is displayed in French. Really annoying. Screenshot. I did pick Paris when setting the timezone during installation so maybe that's why.
    Last edited by Retlol; May 9th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
    F1+2, DB 2, DB 21, FB 21, DB 2~F 1 FTW.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by marciomj View Post
    So, looks like I was counting the chicken before they hatch.

After the upgrade to 18.04, computer refuses to shut down properly. I need to press power button to switch off the machine.
    Does this happen when you see the 'splash screen' ? If so press ESC to see what is happening. Could be some long running systemd job that is delaying shutdown.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast