Thread: [18.04] Nautilus crashes when opening an unmounted NTFS volume for the first time

Beans

Exclamation [18.04] Nautilus crashes when opening an unmounted NTFS volume for the first time

In Ubuntu 18.04 (today’s stable release), the Nautilus file manager crashes (silently closes itself and forgets files copied to clipboard) when opening an unmounted NTFS volume (Samsung and Intel SSDs) for the first time. Several seconds after Nautilus crash, Ubuntu shows a message about an issue with Nautilus and suggests to send a report.

I can’t say for sure whether the issue is specifically with NTFS volumes or with any unmounted volumes because the only ext-type filesystem drive on my PC is the one Ubuntu is installed to.

What’s interesting is that in a certain build of Ubuntu 18.04 development branch (I used dev builds for about a month before the stable release), the bug was looking fixed. The exact version of that Ubuntu 18.04 build was:

Linux version 4.15.0-19-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-026) (gcc version 7.3.0 (Ubuntu 7.3.0-16ubuntu3)) #20-Ubuntu SMP Sun Apr 22 00:03:34 UTC 2018

But in a subsequent build released after a day or two, the bug unfortunately reappeared.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mt-ru; May 2nd, 2018 at 12:58 AM.