Thread: Software installation as root user

Beans

Software installation as root user

I am new to Ubuntu.I have installed an sdk on my vm but as a root user.During the installations I might have installed many other softwares like curl python etc pertaining to it too.
    Now I realize I should have rather used sudo to be safe.I want access to all the software installed when I was root.I could change permissions maybe but I am not sure about what other programs did I install as root user.How do I know which all did I install as root? Kindly help me.Also once I figure out is re installation the only safe option?
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Software installation as root user

You shouldn't create a root account, as you've probably figured out. A user account still has temporary "Super User" access, and running as root is dangerous.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Software installation as root user

The only way to install any software in Ubuntu is as root, either in the non-recommended manner you used, ie, creating a root user, or by temporarily raising your user privileges using sudo.

I do not think it will make any difference to your ability to find out what was installed, and if you run command
    Code:
    grep -i " install " /var/log/dpkg.log.1 /var/log/dpkg.log
    you should get a list of everything installed (after the OS was installed) in date order; which user installed things should not make a scrap of difference to that output.

There should be absolutely no need to reinstall the complete OS, but in future do please use the sudo apt install command, or the software applications already available, the only one of which I can talk about being synaptic as that is the one I use if I want a GUI application.