Thread: External Hard Drive Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

External Hard Drive Windows

I have an external hard drive partitioned into 2 ext4 file systems and one ntfs partition. In my double boot xubuntu 16.04 and windows 10 home, I copied all my desktop and documents from the ext4 partition to the ntfs partition. Then I wanted to go to my windows double boot and copy those 2 folders to my user account. So I unmounted and removed the hard drive and rebooted into windows and hooked up the external hard drive. The windows doesn't see the external drive at all, even in disk management. I even have the ntfs as the first partition on the external hard drive. I have 200GB to get onto the windows boot. Is there a way to force windows to see the external hard drive ntfs partition? Thank you

Beans

Re: External Hard Drive Windows

I don't know the answer to your question; WIndows sometimes doesn't recognize external drives (happened to me this
    week), but... why don't you just boot Xubuntu and then mount the Windows partition from there and copy the files/folders
    directly?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks that's a better idea and I think it is working now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Here: https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-w...-from-windows/. This will, despite appearances, access ext4 partitions.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

which one on that page do you recommend? I have had problems with some apps claiming to do that

Beans
    Distro

PS one problem with your method. I copied all the desktop files and I guess a few had names not accepted by windows. It put win partition in unsafe space and I had to disable hibernate in win to mount it and sift through a ton of files to delete the bad named ones. I wish there was a filter for bad file names as when copying a bunch of them it just kicks out an error invalid file name but doesn't say what file.