Thread: Chromium and the secret service

Beans

Chromium and the secret service

Gday
    I just returned to ubuntu after about 5 years installed 16.04 lts all went very well made up a user account then installed chomium. When using the user account tried to run chromium from the launcher the first time after log in takes sometime but after that all good, now it will not launch . launch in terminal and this is what i get back
    ####@#####:~$ chromium
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
    ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
    Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.158" (uid=1001 pid=7415 comm="/snap/chromium/274/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromi") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Peer" member="Ping" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.secrets" (uid=1001 pid=31560 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login ")

The stuff that worried me is "secret service operation" and "canberra-gtk-module" canberra is the capital city of Australia (if you didn't know)
    Just want to see people thoughts about this
    ps I live in Australia

Just launched as root in terminal the same error massage came up but still ran except it didn't auto log me into google .launch by program bar all good.
    Last edited by graham70; April 21st, 2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: additional information

Beans

Re: Chromium and the secret service

Check your installed software for
    libcanberra-gtk-module
    libcanberra-gtk3-module
    and install them if missing. That may help.

Beans
    Hidden!

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
    ― Joseph Heller
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans

thanks for your advice i have checked this and have all those modules all ready and up to date. I have installed chrome from the chrome website and all is well. I will leave chromium on the computer to see what happens in a update. thanks again

Beans

thenailedone thanks for messing with my fragile mind they are coming to get me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most likely the issues stem from the fact it's the snap version of chromium.
    Was this installed through the Ubuntu Software program?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful