Thread: Why doesn't the Windows/Super key function by default?

Beans

Why doesn't the Windows/Super key function by default?

I just installed Ubuntu 16.4 (LTS) and find that the Windows/Super key does nothing by default even though most modern keyboards come with this key and many users coming from Windows will be used to using it to open the program menu. Why isn't it set to function by default? It's easier than pressing Ctrl + Esc, many users will do it automatically and it otherwise results in another pointless key akin to pause/break. Who is being satisfied by the current default configuration? Who would be negatively affected by the Windows/Super key opening the program menu by default?

Beans

Re: Why doesn't the Windows/Super key function by default?

It is supposed to open the dash if you tab it, it shows a menu of keyboard shortcuts if you press and hold it. It works on all my Ubuntu machines.

Beans

If you have the Unity desktop it is supposed to open the dash when you tap it, that is the default behavior; on other Desktop Environments it may not do anything unless you assign an action to it. I use Mate Desktop and the Super key doesn't do anything when I press it.

Beans

I just installed Kubuntu 18 and the Windows/Super key does nothing by default. I don't think it's a good user experience to have to Google how to set up something as basic as the keyboard before you can start using an operating system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use Ubuntu 18.04 and it does work by default so it just depends I guess what Ubuntu version you are using, I also just tested on Kubuntu 18.04 and it opens the menu for me if I hold the key down for 2 seconds, I think it may be that you are not familiar with Kubuntu 18.04 or something strange happened when you installed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You really don't need that one particular key to function in order to start using the OS. Some versions it does function by default, some it doesn't. But the rest of the keyboard functions just fine.