Thread: [ThinkPad T440s] Problem with touchpad after change for touchpad for T450s

Beans

Question [ThinkPad T440s] Problem with touchpad after change for touchpad for T450s

Hi guys,

i have NB Lenovo Thinkpad T440s. Is it great device, but has really bad touchpad (no hw buttons).
    This touchpad can be replaced for touchpad for Thinkpad t450s (with 3 hw buttons).

It is "standard operation" and on the internet you can find lot of manuals and videos how replace it for touchpad for Thinkpad T450s.

Okay, and problem: After this replacement, new touchpad doing really "crazy" movemens and random clicks.

For illustration i attach videos with original and replaced touchpad.

Original touchpad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi0lh9l7gp...17.01.mp4?dl=0
    Touchpad for T450s: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1hzlc7f8b...32.04.mp4?dl=0

This problem is in my primary system and same behavior was beed after reboot to LiveCD.

Primary OS: Xubuntu 17.10
    Live for test: Xubuntu 18.04

Have you idea, whether is HW or driver problem?
    Thanks for any answers.

Lukas

Beans

Re: [ThinkPad T440s] Problem with touchpad after change for touchpad for T450s

Did you try to change something from the Xfce mouse settings?

Then you tried it live and on a development release. The question would be how well it would perform on 17.10?

Beans

Hi ivanovnegro2,

no, i use only defaut settings (original touchpad works good with default settings (and on LiveCD too)).

Have you idea which settings can i try to change?
    On which version of Ubuntu can try new touchpad, in your opinion?

Thank you.

Beans

There are two packages (drivers) for touchpads. Which one are you using?

Code:
    apt policy *synaptics libinput*
    How is your touchpad listed?

Code:
    xinput list
    Both have settings that can be tweaked for your touchpad. Depending on which one your running; Google can provide you with a ton of suggestions (as it did for my Dell).

Also got some hits here:

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Beans

Hi guys,

today aj saw absolutly unbelievable thing:

After 3. replacement of original and new touchpad i tried start notebook and touchpad unexpectable works... Without changes drivers, without any settings... I tried only start notebook and always works fine.
    I absolute don't know where was a problem - maybe wrong contact on cables, maybe permanently pushed button (both very, very unlikely) but now, always works great.

Thank you for your time.

Lukas.

Beans

Hi Fuxo,

I'm getting the same issue - jumpy cursor, random clicks - after replacing my trackpad. I actually bought a second new trackpad and cable but still the behaviour is the same. I just wondered whether you had any more insights about what was wrong with yours, and why it started working?