Thread: I see Nexus 4 with ubuntu os on ebay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I see Nexus 4 with ubuntu os on ebay

I've always wanted a phone with ubuntu on it, I know the commercialized ubuntu phone is dead. What I want to know is are there certain phones that will take the ubuntu phone os like what I'm seeing with the Nexus 4's on ebay? Are those phones for real? Are there other phones that ubuntu can easily be installed on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I see Nexus 4 with ubuntu os on ebay

Ubuntu Touch is now being developed by Ubports See their website for a list of phones it works. And, yes it's usable as a daily driver, depending on your use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Interesting, maybe I'll make this a project for my old Nexus 4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This might be real as I visited the link given above and saw there is support for Nexus 4.
    There is very less number of devices currently supported and mostly outdated such as: OnePlus One.

I have one Honor 6X and a Redmi NOTE 4. But no support for any of those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kaseem99 View Post
    The Meizu Pro 5 is a high-end Android phone released in late 2015, is also available in Ubuntu (Touch).

Is this phone fully functional on Touch?, I bought a OnePlusOne after reading reviews, but things like camera flash don't work. I'm trying to understand if there is a phone where Touch is fully functional. I like Touch, but don't want phones without full functions. People rave about Touch and it is a sweet OS.but they need to highlight each phones and the functions that don't work. I used the touch installer which had rave reviews, to set up my 1+1 but it wasn't as easy as most raved about, people just need to be honest so new users are so confused and disappointed with results.

This is the Meizu review on GSMARENA, "But let's not beat about the bush any longer - after all, Ubuntu is the reason why we're reviewing the Meizu Pro 5 all over again. We have already established that the Pro 5 is still an exquisite piece of hardware even a few months after its release, but how well does it mix with Canonical's ambitious but very much experimental platform? The short answer is that it's a disappointing experience from a user's friendliness point of view. "Unpolished" is perhaps the more accurate description of our initial feelings, but upon further observation, Ubuntu Touch just seems too ambitious for its own good and not very well though out from a user's standpoint."

Someone recently pointed out on Touch forum, Why!? doesn't the community take one newer phone and get Touch fully functional!?
    Last edited by mawil10132; June 10th, 2018 at 01:50 PM.

Beans

Currently on which phone ubuntu is most functional?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed Ubuntu Touch on Nexus 4 and it is working.
    Because of my broken touch screen I am unable to operate it in anyway.

If you want I can send some images of Ubuntu touch on my phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

yes please post screenshots. Also any issues? Thank you