Thread: Manjaro - pacman

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Manjaro - pacman

Hello,

I though that I would install TOR.

Octopi tells me that the tor in the repo is version 0.3.2.10-1

The TOR website gives the latest version as 7.5.3, and now 9,0a5.

I thought I would check using pacman

I typed pacman -s tor. The -s is not recognised.

Can any one comment on the -s, and on the disparity between the tor versions. It is almost as if tor in the repo, is not TOR the privacy programme.

Thanks
    Dell Dimension E 520 Viiv
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz. Presler Dual Core 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB 2x2MB cache
    RAM 4 GB. Dual Channel (4x1024GB) 667MHz DDR2
    Browser: Firefox

Beans

Re: Manjaro - pacman

I typed pacman -s tor. The -s is not recognised. Can any one comment on the -s, and on the disparity between the tor versions.Can any one comment on the -s, and on the disparity between the tor versions.
    The 's' option should be a capital letter 'S'

Code:
    sudo pacman -S mousepad
    Tor broswer is apparently not in the Manjaro repos. tor in the repositories is an unrelated package. You will have to get the browser elsewhere.
    Last edited by Dennis N; April 18th, 2018 at 08:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

sudo pacman -S tor works. I am sure that you are right. But how do you know that the tor in the repo is not the onion router and with its own browser. Evidently --search is also an option. I found pacman --search, or --Search seems invalid!

It is probably best to get the bundle from TOR
    Dell Dimension E 520 Viiv
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz. Presler Dual Core 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB 2x2MB cache
    RAM 4 GB. Dual Channel (4x1024GB) 667MHz DDR2
    Browser: Firefox

Beans

I am sure that you are right. But how do you know that the tor in the repo is not the onion router and with its own browser.
    No, I think I was actually wrong. I looked again more carefully and that package must be something related to a (the?) Tor browser. The brief description in Manjaro's 'Add/Remove Software' application calls it an 'anonymizing overlay network' and doesn't use the term 'browser' or 'web browser' so I assumed (wrongly) it was unrelated. I gather that the Tor Browser is the Tor Project's custom browser configured to use the tor package. So the package (tor) is not by itself a browser, and the Tor browser is not in the repositories. There is a link to the Tor project in Manjaro's 'Add/Remove Software' screen for tor so that seems to confirm it.
    Last edited by Dennis N; April 19th, 2018 at 03:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Perhaps have a look at the AUR to get the latest and greatest (and everything in between). I personally like to use pamac and I am not well versed in the other package managers (and as I am not currently using Manjaro I can't have a look myself).
    Last edited by thenailedone; April 19th, 2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: speling and gramer am hard
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way