Thread: Best OS for a Chromebook?

Beans

Best OS for a Chromebook?

hi. i'm brand new to this site. i tired to log in yesterday and had all kinds of trouble but today walla. ok this is my dilemma. years ago i used windows machines. like many. then somehow i got hooked on the chromebooks, mainly for there security for banking online. i used them for years i have 5 of the hp pavilion 14 books. well last week i got a notice that all my books are now at the end of life. this is not end of use but no more updates for program or security.

so now i really would like to reuse these chromebooks and i need to find a program that these will run on and let me do my banking and online use and maybe save some pictures and suce on my 16gb drive. i don't think i need to have a dual boot but i would like run a few apps. i use tinycam monitor. but being new to this i see a ton of programs and they confuse me as to what one is a good one that works like the chrome, being i'm use to that. i guess the chrome is mostly the browser. but i have a lot of stuff on chrome already and it would be nice to be able to keep using that stuff. like notes sheets and mail.

so has anyone here have a good suggestion? and just how to do this? plus if i need thumb drives how many and what size. thanks

Beans

Re: Best OS for a Chromebook?

Last edited by kerry_s; April 18th, 2018 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Good evening

Have you considered this https://galliumos.org/?

Kind regards

Beans

tea for one.
    no i have not considered anything yet. i did try converting an old laptop to a chromebook ans i did get it there but my laptop was not on the certified list ans it did not work good at all.

are you thinking this galliumos will be a good fit for the chromebook? do you have any links showing it in use and how to do this transfer? i no that i should make a chrome iso thumb drive just in case something goes wrong and i have that you tube but for converting the chromebooks i have found some but most seem to have remarks that are not supportive for the authors. so that keeps me away and they all seem to have there favorite what do you call it distro whatever that means. thanks bp.

Beans

Usually chromebooks do not have the best resources, so I would say use something light. Have you considered a light flavor of Ubuntu such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu? If not Ubuntu or Debian based distros at all, have you considered Arch Linux?

https://www.archlinux.org/
    https://xubuntu.org/
    https://lubuntu.net/

You can still keep all your chrome apps once you reinstall chrome onto the operating systems. Just navigate to "chrome://apps"

Beans

to tell you the truth i have not because to me there are a bunch of them and i have no clue what is what. that is why i was asking, to see what the group had in mind for these machines. i expect soon this place will be getting a bunch of requests for systems that will work on the chromebooks, just because google has taken away the updates on them. anyway i'm hoping someone here has tried this and has a good system to use and that will work for internet browsing email checking and banking with good security so i do not have to worry much about getting viruses or malware on my machines. and if viruses and malware are still possible there may be a good program that will keep them clean that will fit on them as well. they are nice little machines but like some are saying they may just be a bit to small to be able to handle this. it may not be worth it but i'm trying just in case. thanks much.

Beans

Hi, Few weeks ago, I used Chrx to install ubuntu 18.04 on my Acer C720 Chromebook.
    It went very smoothly and after install without any problem.
    Ubuntu 18.04 works beautifully. I even installed Unity on it and it continues to work very well and smoothly and fast.
    My C720 has 4G RAM.