Thread: ubuntu 16.04 problems networking to windows 7 pc

Beans

ubuntu 16.04 problems networking to windows 7 pc

My pc is running only ubuntu 16.04 lts. My other pc is running only win 7 pro. Both are plugged into a wired network switch. Both pcs have access to internet. Windows pc can access other windows pcs on the network. My ubuntu pc only shows windows network under networks. I also have connect to server available. My windows pc is shared as \two-hpc, full r/w/ access.

I also have one more ubuntu 16.04 pc on the same network that I will try to access either way. I hope to be able to copy files between all pcs and share all connected printers.

My problem: I cannot connect to my windows network. when I open files, network, windows network, the response is unable to access location. failed to receive share list from server: no such file or directory.

Where do I go from here to get to there?
    any help would be appreciated.
    st
    Last edited by seekertom; 5 Days Ago at 08:42 PM. Reason: added info.

Beans

Re: ubuntu 16.04 problems networking to windows 7 pc

Did you install and configure samba on ubuntu?

What is the output of
    pdbedit -L:

Beans

probly not. it's been a battle for me, these days. Pls correct me if wrong, I need to open term, then sudo apt-get install samba. is this right? anything else?

Thanks, st

Beans

Read the Ubuntu documentation at the link below which explains it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...ileserver.html

Beans

my brain must be on hold. I am trying to access the windows machine from my ubuntu machine. if I read the bottom line in the directed-to instructions, "From a Windows client you should now be able to browse to the Ubuntu file server and see the shared directory. If your client doesn't show your share automatically, try to access your server by its IP address, e.g. \\192.168.1.1, in a Windows Explorer window. To check that everything is working try creating a directory from Windows." this process gives me access From windows To ubuntu. I need the other way around... perhaps I am missing something. Will this process let me see the files on my windows pc From my ubuntu pc?
    st