Thread: updater fails, with error; "package operation failed"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

updater fails, with error; "package operation failed"

I have Ubuntu 16.04.3 installed and boots up okay except the updater fails, with error; "package operation failed". So how do I remove and re-install the updater to fix this issue?

Beans

Re: updater fails, with error; "package operation failed"

Please post the output of:

Code:
    sudo apt update
    If that runs without errors:

Code:
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    Last edited by cruzer001; April 17th, 2018 at 02:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Or is it; sudo apt-get update ? What if I try to remove and then install again the update manager package, such as with; "sudo apt-get remove dpkg", and then in place of remove put install. Is that going to work? Okay I will try to run these soon, but what will that full-upgrade do, install the newer version? Okay thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by james2b View Post
    Or is it; sudo apt-get update?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/4453...pt-and-apt-get

What if I try to remove and then install again the update manager package, such as with; "sudo apt-get remove dpkg", and then in place of remove put install. Is that going to work?
    It sounds like a really bad idea to me. Try the commands provided and see if you can get a more specific error message. "package operation failed" is very vague.
    What would happen if your disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

"package operation failed" just means there was some error installing or removing some package. Now it wants you to tell it how to solve the problem. Reinstalling the package manager won't help. And uninstalling the package manager sounds like a really bad idea, because you need the package manager to reinstall it.

Just run the commands provided by cruzer001 and post the output. That should tell us what's going on.

Edit:
    Code:
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    will attempt to install all available upgrades for your release of Ubuntu. It will not attempt to upgrade to the next release.
    Last edited by Impavidus; April 17th, 2018 at 11:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: updater fails, with error; "package operation failed"

Okay this issue is now fixed by running those commands found at the AptGet How to at; help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto. When I ran the apt-get update it ran through with no errors. And with apt-get upgrade it gave error code 1 until it finally got solved. When it was not working and returned that error, the Software Updater only showed Ubuntu base 15kb. So thanks for the help to all.