Thread: Question about what can be in a Wiki

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question about what can be in a Wiki

I'm currently maintaining the MaintenanceFreeCustomGrub2Screen Community Wiki.

It currently contains legacy disk drive technology, meaning non SSD/UEFI and it has been pretty popular I believe. Now, I have a new computer and it will have everything UEFI plus I still have my old computer to support legacy Grub.
    I have not gotten to the point where I can add a custom EFI grub to my computer or to the Wiki. Since this method of customizing the grub menu can readily be used on any Debian distro including Ubuntu.

I was wondering if I could add Arch Linux to the Wiki. I am not meaning adding a separate part for just Arch Linux, just including it.
    Where users who multi-boot several Linux systems: Arch and/or Ubuntu and/or other Debian distros and/or Windows.

Arch uses only 2 files to customize the Grub: /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/06_custom.
    It does not have a /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme file, so the menu colors and background picture are in /etc/default/grub.
    It also does not have a /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober file either unless you explicitly install it for other operating systems.

I just thought I'd ask if this was doable or not in the https://ubuntuforums.org.

Thank you.
    Cavsfan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Question about what can be in a Wiki

I installed Xenial Xerus 16.04.4 UEFI yesterday and the default grub would not boot, after installation into any OS including 16.04.

The only thing that saved me was in my BIOS, I could select the Arch boot loader or the Windows 10 boot loader.

I'll be working on fixing that and of course when I do I'll add the Ubuntu UEFI boot customization. Not able to go too fast right now and it seems to be pretty complicated but, I'm sure like anything else it is indeed doable.

Regards,
    Cavsfan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post

It currently contains legacy disk drive technology, meaning non SSD/UEFI and it has been pretty popular I believe. Now, I have a new computer and it will have everything UEFI plus I still have my old computer to support legacy Grub.
    I have not gotten to the point where I can add a custom EFI grub to my computer or to the Wiki. Since this method of customizing the grub menu can readily be used on any Debian distro including Ubuntu.

I was wondering if I could add Arch Linux to the Wiki. I am not meaning adding a separate part for just Arch Linux, just including it.
    Where users who multi-boot several Linux systems: Arch and/or Ubuntu and/or other Debian distros and/or Windows.

Arch uses only 2 files to customize the Grub: /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/06_custom.
    It does not have a /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme file, so the menu colors and background picture are in /etc/default/grub.
    It also does not have a /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober file either unless you explicitly install it for other operating systems.

I just thought I'd ask if this was doable or not in the https://ubuntuforums.org.

Thank you.
    Cavsfan
    IMO, the proper venue for your query would the ubuntu-doc mailing list: ubuntu-doc@lists.ubuntu.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post

Thank you.
    Cavsfan
    Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    IMO, the proper venue for your query would the ubuntu-doc mailing list: ubuntu-doc@lists.ubuntu.com
    Thanks slickymaster!
    I'll do that when I get some more of this sorted out. UEFI is new to me, very different from Legacy MBR partitioning and I'm still trying to figure it out.