Thread: I'm new to Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful A...)?

Beans

I'm new to Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful A...)?

I'd like to customize its appearance and dock. I don't understand why it doesn't have a left side dock like other ubuntu distros.

Can u help me find a decent tutorial or explain how to do it?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: I'm new to Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful A...)?

ubuntu 17 is gnome, it has ubuntu dock on the left setup to look like unity.
    do you not have that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you have not customized ubuntu at all since you installed it you need to move your cursor all the way to the left top corner of the screen and click on the activities button to bring the launcher out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    If you have not customized ubuntu at all since you installed it you need to move your cursor all the way to the left top corner of the screen and click on the activities button to bring the launcher out.
    there should be a dock there at startup, if it's missing there's something wrong with his install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    there should be a dock there at startup, if it's missing there's something wrong with his install.
    I"m aware of that but I we do not know it is missing until he does what I stated above because it does not just pop out if you move your cursor to the left hand side of the screen in a fresh install you have to make some adjustments first, at least on mine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    I"m aware of that but I we do not know it is missing until he does what I stated above because it does not just pop out if you move your cursor to the left hand side of the screen in a fresh install you have to make some adjustments first, at least on mine.
    maybe it's changed since i last tested. it was not set to auto hide when i tested.
    it was set just like unity with the launcher on the bottom instead of trash. it was a modified dash to dock.