Thread: [apache2] - run virtual hosts with different users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

[apache2] - run virtual hosts with different users

Dear users,

I have some virtual hosts configured in my VPS, but they are running under the same user, www-data, and this involves some security problems.

I thought to run each virtual host with a different user, so a website under a vh can't damage the others.

I tried to set this in vh1.conf:
    Code:
    User vh1
    Group vhosts
    And I also created vh1 user in ubuntu.

But when I call phpinfo() I see in each virtual host that the user is www-data.

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks

Beans

Re: [apache2] - run virtual hosts with different users

You can't do this unless the virtual hosts listen on ports other than 80. Then you could run separate instances of apache for each port running as different users.

The better question is why having www-data be the only user is a security problem. The www-data user should have extremely limited write privileges or no write privileges at all. Users could have www-data as their group with 750 permissions, but only the users themselves should be able to write into the directories under the DocumentRoot.

My virtual hosts have a DocumentRoot that points to a directory under the user's home with group www-data and 750 permissions.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

So what you advice me?
    And what shared hosting companies do on their servers?

Thanks

Beans

My advice was to enforce strong security on the individual users. Unless you tell us specifically what the "security problems" are, that's all I can suggest.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Distro

I want to avoid that the website under a virtual host can damage another of them.

As shared hosting.

Thanks

Beans

At a minimum, set the permissions on the website directories and files as full privileges to the owner, and read-only to everyone else. The only way one person can "damage" another website is if you let them all write into each others' directories.

In general, though, I'd choose a more stringent setup. First I'd set the default home directory permissions to 711 so only the owner can touch the files therein, but others can see though not read them. Then set up a subdirectory under each home that contains the website files. Put that directory in the same group as www-data and set the directory's privileges to 750. Then the owner and apache can read the files, but no one else can touch them. Make that directory the DocumentRoot for the corresponding virtual host in Apache.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 23rd, 2018 at 10:24 PM.