Thread: Capture Card recording with OBS and EZCAP284

Beans

Capture Card recording with OBS and EZCAP284

I am trying to get my ezcap284 capture card to work on Ubuntu Kylin 16.04 using OBS. However, it is not recognized as a capture device by Ubuntu. It uses the IT9910HD driver on Windows if that helps.

This is the lsusb output:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 048d:0281 Integrated Technology Express, Inc.
    Here is the dmesg output:
    Code:
    [  914.192391] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
    [  914.355130] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=048d, idProduct=0281
    [  914.355133] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [  914.355136] usb 1-1.3: Product: ezcap
    [  914.355137] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: www.ezcap.com
    I do not know where it is mounted (if it even is) and VLC and OBS do not recognize it.

I would really prefer to use this instead of booting into windows every time I want to use it. Especially since I use Ubuntu Kylin far more often than Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Capture Card recording with OBS and EZCAP284

A video device wouldn't be "mounted" - is would need the correct driver which would create a v4l2 device which obs would see and use. Did a quick google for the device ID and linux ... didn't find any mention. Does the vendor provide Linux drivers? That would be where I started.

Is there some other program that works with this device on Linux?
    Is there a /dev/vid[0-9] device? I think that's the normal name given to video-4-linux devices.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    A video device wouldn't be "mounted" - is would need the correct driver which would create a v4l2 device which obs would see and use. Did a quick google for the device ID and linux ... didn't find any mention. Does the vendor provide Linux drivers? That would be where I started.

Is there some other program that works with this device on Linux?
    Is there a /dev/vid[0-9] device? I think that's the normal name given to video-4-linux devices.
    To my knowledge there aren't any linux drivers, I have emailed the company asking about it, but they haven't responded (and I doubt they will). There is no /dev/vid[0-9] device.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If there aren't drivers, then it won't work. Not all ezcap devices are supported, but 3 are. It appears this one doesn't have any Linux support.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 16th, 2018 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

There's no IT9910 driver in the Linux kernel yet. If you don't mind, can you open the device and take a pictures of the chips that it's using on the inside? We'd need to identify the chips that it's using. Eventually, if a driver is added, we can match the configuration of the Ezcap284 and add the USB ID 048d:0281 so it will be detected. I can't see the specs of the internals of this device when searching online.