Thread: Gnome online accounts on Xubuntu, possible?

Beans

Lightbulb Gnome online accounts on Xubuntu, possible?

It's a simple question... Can it be done? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Gnome online accounts on Xubuntu, possible?

Have a look HERE.
    Also note the you tube link in the comments.

eg I tested in Xubuntu 17.10
    Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-online-accounts
    sudo apt install gnome-control-center
    Then copy the launcher to your local directory to edit the Exec command.
    Desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications override the originals for the $USER.
    The user desktop files won't be overwritten with updates.
    Code:
    cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
    Now you need to edit the local desktop file's "Exec" and "OnlyShowIn" lines.
    The edits tell the application you're in the GNOME env and add XFCE to the OnlyShowIn variable so as it appears in the application menu.
    These 2 sed commands will do it.
    Code:
    sed -i '/Exec/c\Exec=env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center' ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop
    sed -i '/OnlyShowIn/c\OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;XFCE;' ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop
    Here, the launcher shows up in Settings > Settings
    or test with...
    Code:
    xdg-open ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop
    I don't use online accounts so whether or not this will work for your purpose I don't know.
    Last edited by guber2; April 17th, 2018 at 08:21 AM.

Beans

@guber2 thanks bro, you are really show the great job.. It's really like a magic for me.. really appreciate it.. thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm totally confused about this I've followed the directions on how to install this on Xubuntu 18.04 and it just doesn't work for me. None of the menus show any of the apps, not gnome control center or gnome online accounts. I can, however launch them through the command line, but gnome control center is just a blank box.

I've tried the step below and the only result I get is a message to tell me that it's not a directory (?)

"Now you need to edit the local desktop file's "Exec" and "OnlyShowIn" lines.
    The edits tell the application you're in the GNOME env and add XFCE to the OnlyShowIn variable so as it appears in the application menu.
    These 2 sed commands will do it.
    Code:
    sed -i '/Exec/c\Exec=env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center' ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop
    sed -i '/OnlyShowIn/c\OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;XFCE;' ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-control-center.desktop

I'd be very happy if someone could enlighten me somewhat.Why does something that, to be quite honest, can be a real pain in the proverbial on Ubuntu Mate through its constant reminders to bnackup have to be so bloomin difficult to install on Xubuntu?
    Nid yw Anarchiaeth am anrhefn a chwal, ond am Ryddid, Cyfrifoldeb a Threfn
    Anarchy isn't about chaos and disorder, it's about Freedom, Responsibility and Order.