Thread: No network devices available

Beans

Question No network devices available

Hello everyone,

Recently I had some resolution problems, and I managed to fix them by updating my Kernel version to the newest one (4.16). That fixed my resolution but now I am not able to connect to the wifi, whereas before that I was able to. After running 'lspci -nn -d 14e4:' I get '08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)' . When I searched for drivers for this network card, I did not find any that were for mine, especially for the (rev 01). I tried installing bcmwl-kernel-source through the terminal and manually by downloading and installing the package, but it didn't fix my error. Also the output of 'iwconfig' is 'lo no wireless extentions'.
    If anyone has any idea on the solution please share it with me so I can try to fix that. Thank you very much in advance

- turb0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No network devices available

When I searched for drivers for this network card, I did not find any that were for mine,
    Please check here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110

I tried installing bcmwl-kernel-source through the terminal and manually by downloading and installing the package, but it didn't fix my error.
    What exactly happened? I expect that with no networking devices at all, apt was unable to go out to the internet, find and install the package, right?

Do you still have the install DVD or USB? https://askubuntu.com/questions/5536.../553619#553619

What is the exact response to the terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hello, and thanks for the fast response
    I already saw that list but there is no driver for 14e4:432b (rev 1), only for the 14e4:432b. I still tried installing it, and I think everything went well. I restarted my computer but there wasn't a difference.

I tried deleting the drivers with 'sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source', and that was the output:

vladi@Hyperion:~$ sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    [sudo] password for vladi:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    dkms fakeroot gcc gcc-7 libasan4 libatomic1 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcc1-0
    libcilkrts5 libfakeroot libgcc-7-dev libitm1 libmpx2 libubsan0
    linux-libc-dev manpages-dev
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    bcmwl-kernel-source*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

After typing Y, the terminal outputs:

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 169649 files and directories currently installed.)
    Purging configuration files for bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu3) ...
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.125ubuntu12.1) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.16.0-041600-lowlatency
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_39.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver9_29.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_ver9_33.bin for module i915

Also I use a usb flash card to connect to the wifi, so it doesn't have problems with it. I just connect it and the computer automatically finds all wifi networks. Here is the exact response for 'sudo modprobe wl'

modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/4.16.0-041600-lowlatency

Thank you again for helping me out with this problem
    - turb0

Beans
    Distro

We'd really rather see the result of:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    We suspect that your kernel version isn't supported, but run the command anyway so we can confirm. Old Chili loves a good, big train wreck.

4.16.0-041600-lowlatency
    If you must, must have 4.16, I suspect that you can't have Broadcom wireless.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hello again Chili

Here is the output of 'sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source'

vladi@Hyperion:~$ sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    [sudo] password for vladi:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    bcmwl-kernel-source
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/1,520 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 7,176 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously unselected package bcmwl-kernel-source.
    (Reading database ... 169650 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu3_i386.deb ...
    Unpacking bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu3) ...
    Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.271+bdcom-0ubuntu3) ...
    Loading new bcmwl-6.30.223.271+bdcom DKMS files...
    Building for 4.16.0-041600-lowlatency
    Building for architecture i686
    Building initial module for 4.16.0-041600-lowlatency
    ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.16.0-041600-lowlatency is not supported
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.16.0-041600-lowlatency (i686)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.30.223.271+bdcom/build/make.log for more information.
    modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/4.16.0-041600-lowlatency
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.125ubuntu12.1) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.16.0-041600-lowlatency
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_39.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver9_29.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_ver9_33.bin for module i915
    vladi@Hyperion:~$

Now that I read it more carefully it really looks like it may be a kernel problem, as I didn't have it with the old Kernel version (4.13). But I really need the new one, as I had resolution problems with the old one (couldn't recognize the real resolution of my machine). Do you think that going to Kernel 4.15 may fix my issue? Or should I install Lubuntu 16 or maybe 18?

Thank you for the help and the fast responses
    - turb0

Beans
    Distro

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.16.0-041600-lowlatency is not supported
    "As we suspected..." (Voice of Darth Sidious)

My first suggestion is to try a live session of Ubuntu 18.04 daily build. It uses kernel version 4.15 and has bcmwl-kernel-source on the DVD or USB. If it works for you in "Try Ubuntu" mode, install it. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Beans

Alright Chili, thanks for the help!
    Can I just ask you if you can send me a link to the 32bit version of it, because my machine is pretty old and is 32bit
    Thank you again and hope you have a good day!

Beans
    Distro