Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop slow after upgrade to 17.10, is my hardware too old?

Beans

Question Laptop slow after upgrade to 17.10, is my hardware too old?

Hi! I've upgraded to 17.10 yesterday because I feared I'd eventually run into security problems. My laptop is now much slower however.

Main use is Firefox, pokemon game ptcgo over wine, and gvim. Game to firefox now needs at least 10s instead of a few seconds. Swap used to be 300–600 Mo or at most 1 Go with 17.04, it's now 1.6 Go (says system monitor), so I suspect this may be the problem.

Memory 3.7 GiB DDR3, Intel Core i3-3130M CPU@2.60GHz x 4, Graphics Intel Ivybridge Mobile, Gnome 3.26.2 64-bit
    L3 3 MiB, L2 512 KiB, L1 128 KiB
    ATA Disk Western Digital WDC WD5000BPKX-7 7200 RPM

Should I go for a lighter version of ubuntu?

Beans

Smile Re: Laptop slow after upgrade to 17.10, is my hardware too old?

maybe get an SSD they can help with slow application launches depending on your setup if you can afford a larger SSD it depends on your preference I'm ordering a crucial BX300 128gb which is reliable and fast it's 49.99 on Amazon it could make bootups and application launches much faster that's what I recommend anyway maybe upgrade ram to 4-8 gigabytes.
    Last edited by QIII; April 8th, 2018 at 03:10 AM. Reason: removed email address

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Laptop slow after upgrade to 17.10, is my hardware too old?

That does not offer a clue or solution to a slower experience after the update. Please do not suggest that the OP spend money on hardware when there is likely a software issue here.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1. The i3 is plenty fast enough to run current applications well. You should run top or htop to figure out what is consuming so much memory.

Beans

Are you on wayland or xorg, is that a clean install or an "upgrade"?

Beans

I have to confirm that my computer also is running slower than it did when I had ver12 of Ubuntu on it... I am going to do a clean install of ver 18LTS in May

Dave

Beans

Thanks a lot for your help everybody! So my hardware should be enough, great news!

Firefox may be the culprit. Yesterday it crashed hard (it would crash again on restart, problem solved after a reboot). Now I have fewer opened tabs and speed was okay when switching from the game, swap was lower too.
    Perhaps my choices are 1. don't leave 1–2 youtube vids on pause in their tab 2. do a fresh install.

I guess I'm on wayland since I have Xwayland and gdm-wayland-session processes
    I've never done a fresh install, I've just been upgrading from the factory install 4 years ago.

I noted down the System Monitor values while playing: Mem 3.1 GiB / 3.7GiB Swap 1.2 GiB
    Sorting the processes by memory usage (in System Monitor):
    gnome-shell 1.0GiB
    Pokémon [...].exe (the game) 586 MiB
    firefox 359MiB
    Web Content, 4 times: 142 / 130 / 123 / 41 MiB
    The next processes go down in size very quickly so I don't understand how this could add up to 3.1 GiB, much less 3.1 + 1.2 GiB.
    I thought maybe only the user processes are shown, so I "sudo apt install htop" (which mostly froze everything for 20–30s). Sorting by memory shows many duplicates in htop, I didn't spot anything new, I'll try harder if necessary.
    Wow, the game is closed as I'm writing this and gnome-shell went up to 1.4 GiB! I guess when gnome-shell and the game and firefox all go up a few hundred MiB the RAM limit is hit and things go very slow.

&wP*!) is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

1. Try to install much lighter Ubuntu distros: Xubuntu or Lubuntu. At Lubuntu Desktop Environment is much lighter. Lighter distro will consume less RAM, reduce probability to use the swap. Swap activity will reduce life time of your SSD.
    2. For SSD, use noatime option in /etc/fstab to increase life time of your memory, because at each IO access (read/write) timestamp of the files will be updated. This causes lots of IO activity. A very nice page about this is here.
    3. Uninstall unnecessary programs, which run in the background. Example: postfix (local email service). For more information, see here.
    4. Your memory is limited so probably no chance to get rid of swap. I have 8 GB RAM machine, where firefox etc take about 2.4 GB (Lubuntu).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jml3473 View Post
    I guess I'm on wayland since I have Xwayland and gdm-wayland-session processes
    I've never done a fresh install, I've just been upgrading from the factory install 4 years ago.
    So logout, in the login screen press the Ubuntu button and choose xorg session and see if it improves.

Also, there are many changes from 4 years ago, upgrade has probably broken something or some leftover configurations might interfere with the new os. It is a lot cleaner, safer, a much much faster to a clean install, if switching to xorg doesn't fix it a clean install should be next.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 8th, 2018 at 06:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pencuse View Post
    1. Try to install much lighter Ubuntu distros: Xubuntu or Lubuntu. At Lubuntu Desktop Environment is much lighter. Lighter distro will consume less RAM, reduce probability to use the swap. Swap activity will reduce life time of your SSD.
    2. For SSD, use noatime option in /etc/fstab to increase life time of your memory, because at each IO access (read/write) timestamp of the files will be updated. This causes lots of IO activity. A very nice page about this is here.
    3. Uninstall unnecessary programs, which run in the background. Example: postfix (local email service). For more information, see here.
    4. Your memory is limited so probably no chance to get rid of swap. I have 8 GB RAM machine, where firefox etc take about 2.4 GB (Lubuntu).
    His specs are pretty adequate to run FF and doesn't need a "light desktop" unless it is his aesthetic preferences.Clearly something else is amiss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast