Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity out, Gnome desktop in from now on? Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unity out, Gnome desktop in from now on? Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no. When I get my operating system update they've changed the desktop to Gnome instead of Unity like I have now. Then I'll have to work on customizing it again....ugg....that's going to be some work!
    Some of my programs may not work on Gnome, ah!! Then I'll have to find new ones.

I'm not looking forward to this...........

Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans

Re: Unity out, Gnome desktop in from now on? Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gnome's a lot more tweak-able than unity was.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This has been known for a year now, there are other ways to keep unity if you wish, it is being maintained and developed by UBports.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/canon...ampaign=buffer

and there are some other spins of unity available from other sources.
    Here is another one:

https://community.ubuntu.com/t/testi...n-in-18-04/987

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Actually the transition from Unity to Gnome Shell was masterfully done! What I mean is Ubuntu still looks like Ubuntu only more modern. As kerry_s pointed out, Gnome Shell can be customized to your needs with extensions. I think the switch was a good move!
    Last edited by exploder; April 7th, 2018 at 04:42 PM.

Beans

you can pretty much have any look you want, search "gnome" on youtube & you'll see all kinds of stuff/tweaks/tips.

i'm pretty plain, i have 4 extensions, just a color background. you know "boring" as my nephew calls it.
    i've seen him hunt for like 10min because the icon he's looking for is camo'ed by his wallpaper. lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    gnome's a lot more tweak-able than unity was.
    Not true, I have used both, it is not "tweakable" when you have to use a bunch of half baked, often poorly maintained and mutually conflicting extensions to hack the system in order to get functions that should be baked in. It is the very opposite. Say whatever about KDE, it is unbeatable in terms of tweakability, you don't need to go hunt for extensions to hack it

Beans

you can pretty much have any look you want, search "gnome" on youtube & you'll see all kinds of stuff/tweaks/tips.

i'm pretty plain, i have 4 extensions, just a color background. you know "boring" as my nephew calls it.
    i've seen him hunt for like 10min because the icon he's looking for is camo'ed by his wallpaper. lol
    What about functions? I still cannot figure out how to search file in the dash like in Unity. I am all ears if anyone knows.

Beans

i get it, so you hate gnome.

why would you expect tweaks to be backed in? extensions just makes things easier. trial & error, all apps work that way, find what works for you.

search works just fine as long as it's in your home folder & not hidden. if you need some special search you should be using the term or an app made for that purpose.
    in normal use, you don't need to leave the home folder.

Beans

i get it, so you hate gnome.

why would you expect tweaks to be backed in? extensions just makes things easier. trial & error, all apps work that way, find what works for you..
    Oh many things "work" or can be made to work, but you are arguing that it is "tweakabe" which is just the opposite. "Tweaking" in general doesn't require you to hack into the DE to force it to act in ways that contrary to intent, as most of these extensions do (unlike Firefox's extensions which most of them actually extend and don't hack the browser)

search works just fine as long as it's in your home folder & not hidden. if you need some special search you should be using the term or an app made for that purpose.
    in normal use, you don't need to leave the home folder.
    Any DE can make search is folder, that's why people dump all their files on their desktops. In unity I don't have to do it. The point is there is no functional parity, you can imitate the look easily, that is not the point.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pretty_whistle View Post
    Oh no. When I get my operating system update they've changed the desktop to Gnome instead of Unity like I have now. Then I'll have to work on customizing it again....ugg....that's going to be some work!
    Some of my programs may not work on Gnome, ah!! Then I'll have to find new ones.

I'm not looking forward to this...........

You can easily run unity in 18.04, which is what I will do instead of "tweaking" gnome shell (moreover its animation is jerky, no extension can fix that)

Code:
    sudo apt install unity-session xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    reboot, in the login greeter choose Unity, that's it. Alternatively there is an unity respin iso you can download https://community.ubuntu.com/t/new-u...unity-iso/2146

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast